groovyPost Forums

Class 10 Micro SD Card Extremely Slow?

I have a Samsung 16GB Class 10 Micro SD Card. While I still had my android phone (which died after gracefully hitting the floor) I had two partitions on it - one FAT32 and one EXT. I used the EXT for android apps and although the read and write speeds on both partitions were terrible (~ 35 kb/sec) it worked for the most part on keeping my apps in the SD card.

Now that that phone is dead, I want to reuse this card by putting it into my temporary Nokia.

What I did was the obvious - I put the card in a reader and I completely deleted the two partitions. Afterwards I created a new partition out of the uncallocated space, using FAT32. I set up everything correctly, but after trying to transfer my photos and music, the write speed was around 30 kb/sec AGAIN.

I tried various fixers, micro SD formatters, HP flash tool recovery tools and a ton of other apps. Nothing worked. Did I screw up my card for good or is there hope to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me as if you have a fake. There are a lot of them around and they sell cheap. The speeds you quote are ridiculously slow as Class 10 supports 10 MB/s as a minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed..I'd buy another card and if it had those speeds you quoted I'd return it.

Hey Bob,

No, that's not the case. The card is 100% genuine and I'm sure of it. Before adding the EXT partition to the card, it functioned just fine, sporing an average of around 8 MB/sec when transferring my music through both USB and the reader.

I purchased the card from the internet and while it still has a warranty, I'd rather find a way to fix it myself than to mess around with shipping, documents, problem descriptions and so on. If the card DOES turn out to be permanently f*ed, I'll just buy another one - it's just that I think there MUST be something that I'm missing...

Sounds to me as if you have a fake. There are a lot of them around and they sell cheap. The speeds you quote are ridiculously slow as Class 10 supports 10 MB/s as a minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed..I'd buy another card and if it had those speeds you quoted I'd return it.

Have you tried it on a different PC? I've seen where plugged in USB mice and other devices can impact the speed of the SD Card speeds. You might want to try that out or unplug all the other devices and test the speed again.

• 3 months later...

"The card is 100% genuine and I'm sure of it... I purchased the card from the internet" I know a guy that bought a Renoir painting and thought it 100% genuine. It was a fake. I knew the guy that sold it to him as well but that's another story.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, just thought I'd add a follow-up to the story - I apparently made some error during the partitioning of the card which caused it to be this slow. I tried the same partitioning on an older card that I no longer needed, just to see if that was the problem and I was right.

Anyway - that was a loooong time ago. I learned my lesson - no more custom ROMs and fooling around for me - the LG Stock 4.4.2 suits me just fine at the moment! :)