groovyPost Forums

I am paying for 15 mbps download, but lately I have only been getting between 1 or 2 Mbps. I call my ISP and complain, but they keep saying that it is our router, but I always bypass the router when I test! And when I test @ speeedtest.net, the closest server always has the slowest results, a full 10 Mbps slower. Ping is all over the place and my upload tests take FOREVER to finish. This is with, both, Google Chrome and IE. When I talk to CS for my ISP, they ALWAYS say that everything looks great from their end. When the service guys show up they test and say we have a signal, exactly what does "You have signal" mean anyway? I am sure we do, but it isn't what we are paying for. They replaced the modem three times in the last 18 mos, had the lead tech out a half a dozen times. One time, and one time only, did they admit that there was a bandwidth issue and "noise". If Suddenlink didn't have a proprietary monopoly in this town, I would switch providers! Can someone help me troubleshoot this? Cause they sure as heck won't!

I am paying for 15 mbps download, but lately I have only been getting between 1 or 2 Mbps. I call my ISP and complain, but they keep saying that it is our router, but I always bypass the router when I test! And when I test @ speeedtest.net, the closest server always has the slowest results, a full 10 Mbps slower. Ping is all over the place and my upload tests take FOREVER to finish. This is with, both, Google Chrome and IE. When I talk to CS for my ISP, they ALWAYS say that everything looks great from their end. When the service guys show up they test and say we have a signal, exactly what does "You have signal" mean anyway? I am sure we do, but it isn't what we are paying for. They replaced the modem three times in the last 18 mos, had the lead tech out a half a dozen times. One time, and one time only, did they admit that there was a bandwidth issue and "noise". If Suddenlink didn't have a proprietary monopoly in this town, I would switch providers! Can someone help me troubleshoot this? Cause they sure as heck won't!

oops didn't mean to cap the mbps twice...

Hi - my name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your internet service. I'd be happy to work with management in your area to resolve. Please feel free to contact me directly: ashley-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!

Hi Misty,

First - take a look at this article here - http://www.groovypost.com/howto/geek-stuff/understand-your-interent-connection-test-its-speed/

It explains the difference between mbps and MBps. In other words:

8 mbps = 1 MBps

You just need to make sure you have correct expectations when it comes to downloading things off the internet.

Thanks!

Hi Misty,

First - take a look at this article here - http://www.groovypost.com/howto/geek-stuff/understand-your-interent-connection-test-its-speed/

8 mbps = 1 MBps

You just need to make sure you have correct expectations when it comes to downloading things off the internet.

Thanks!

I know the difference between mbps and MBps:)that was a typo.Was told the phone modem may be screwing with the bandwidth. We need to split and put the phone on a different modem. I don't think that I have the wrong expectations about my internet, for one it should be somewhat constant. It spikes to 40ish mbps and then drops to 1.43 and like I said it sometimes takes forever for the upload part to finish. Ping usually won't even test packet loss when our "signal" is bad. 15 mbps should be able to support Netflx, but sometimes it just spinnispinnispins. (the red circle of RAGE).

Going to try splitting between two modem, one for our phone and one just for internet. If that doesn't work, I will def be buggin you:) thank you!

Wow! Now that is customer service!

Hi Misty,

8 mbps = 1 MBps

Thanks!

Yeah... depending on what you are doing the phone can impact it. Hope you find a solution Misty!