groovyPost Forums

Slow upload speed

jamminjelly
Go to solution Solved by Rufio,

Okay I'm asking a lot of questions here at once. I'm not too savvy with computers. So in my apartment I have a TL-WR340G router and my upload speed is really slow. I do a lot of video editing for YouTube and so I'm trying to figure out how to upload videos faster. I seem to be capping out at around 700 Kbps but I'm supposed to be getting 70 megabits per second on this connection. Everything is hooked up over wireless. The speeds are the same on my new Mac and on my old windows PC.

70 megabits per second sounds like your download speed, I wouldn’t expect to be able to upload at this speed. My 76mbps connection only uploads at around 18 - 20mbps max but I would think yours should be faster than 700Kbps.

First you need to narrow the problem down a bit by checking:

Is your upload speed slow on all sites or just YouTube?

Is it happening at a specific time of day?

What upload / download speed do you get when using one of the internet speed checkers such as www.speedtest.net (When running the speed test it’s important to ensure only you are connected so you get an accurate test it’s also best to do a few tests at different times of day)

• Solution

Okay the first thing I see wrong here is that is an old router.

Wireless G is pretty crummy. It means your maximum wireless internet speed will be 54Mbps, which converted to file byte transfer rate is actually 6.75MBps (bits versus bytes).

That might seem fast, but it's wishful thinking. There are a lot of factors that can get in the way of that speed. A lot of the time the router just has crummy hardware in it that doesn't have the processing power to give you the speed you are supposed to get. On my old Wireless G router I typically saw speeds closer to 1MBps, and that is pretty common if you look at the average benchmarks for Wireless G routers.

Solution: You need a new router. Go for one with Wireless N, your new Macbook should have it if it is less than 3 years old. A lot of the Wireless N ones also broadcast in G as well so you won't have to upgrade networks cards on older computers, you just won't get the fast speed of Wireless N on the older ones that don't have wireless NICs that support it.

Wireless G is pretty crummy. It means your maximum wireless internet speed will be 54Mbps, which converted to file byte transfer rate is actually 6.75MBps (bits versus bytes).

That might seem fast, but it's wishful thinking. There are a lot of factors that can get in the way of that speed. A lot of the time the router just has crummy hardware in it that doesn't have the processing power to give you the speed you are supposed to get. On my old Wireless G router I typically saw speeds closer to 1MBps, and that is pretty common if you look at the average benchmarks for Wireless G routers.

Solution: You need a new router. Go for one with Wireless N, your new Macbook should have it if it is less than 3 years old. A lot of the Wireless N ones also broadcast in G as well so you won't have to upgrade networks cards on older computers, you just won't get the fast speed of Wireless N on the older ones that don't have wireless NICs that support it.

Sorry but thats rubbish. Whilst the router is slow by today's standards its still capable of transfer speeds well in excess of the 700kbps that the op is getting.Before buying a new router which likely will not solve the issue you can connect your pc to the router with an Ethernet cable. If the upload speed does not improve then its not the router that's at fault.

Thanks Simon, going to check this out before I go to buy a new one.

To answers your questions:

It's all the time, and its on more sites than youtube. My upload is supposed to be 25 megabits per second.

Speedtest.net gives me 700kbps upload but my download is close to 800 kbps too. I didn't know downloads were this slow too. Glad I checked!

Signal is weak so that could be it. Ill try moving closer and hooking it up with a cable.

I may have to stand corrected then. If up and down speeds are so slow it could be the wifi signal. I would always double check though before spending the cash. If it speeds up on the Ethernet connection then you know the problem is with the wireless signal if not then let us know.

Like bananajoe says though, your router isn't the best so you won't get anywhere near 25 megabits per second with it. I remember getting between 3 to 4 when I had a similar router a few years ago which is at least a useable speed. You will notice a big difference when you get it sorted.

• 1 month later...

First of all try clearing cookies,browser history and cache,avoid running electronic devices at once,upgrade your modem or router to a newer model and have a periodic check in your modem ventilation, or do you use P2P (Peer to Peer) file sharing programs? If so then try turning the file sharing program off, as file sharing programs use up allot of bandwidth some broadband providers limit the speed you can use the internet if you are using file sharing programs.

If you turn off the file sharing program your broadband speed goes back to normal .I faced the same problem ,after doing this i checked my speed from http://www.scanmyspeed.com apparently my internet speed is faster than before. If these doesn't apply ,there is a chance you may have a virus on your computer. A computer virus is likely to not just slow your broadband and Internet down but your computer too.

If you find that not only is your broadband running slower but you notice that your computer is a bit more sluggish or notice that you have corrupt files or programs are not opening then you may well have a virus.Try to overcome this,your internet speed ll automatically rise up.