groovyPost Forums

Conversion from Windows XP based exe file to 64 bit compatible windows-7 operating system

pluto99_999

I have an exe file (compiled from a basic program) that is compatible with 32-bit windows operating system but not compatible with 64 bit windows-7 operating system. How do I go about convertiing it work on my windows -7 laptop computer?' Or how can I make my existing program work on windows-7? Thanks in advance for your help.

Most of the programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows work on the 64-bit version of Windows. An exception to this are a lot of antivirus programs and device drivers. As you don't state what programme you are having a problem with it's impossible to answer your question. If you want an answer then please take the time to set out your problem with as much detail as possible. People trying to answer your question are not mind readers.

I clearly see your point. The program (exe file) that I'm trying to run on 64 bit version of Windows 7, is a basic (more specifically power basic) program that I wrote myself and compiled several years ago. I have been using these program on my 32 bit desktop and other 32 bit machines. When I run it on windows 7 (64-bit) it gives an error: that my exe file is incompatible. I hope this clear enough. If you like I could attach the exe file. Thanks.

Hi Bob,I tried the link you suggesteds below:

"Luckily, this is an easy problem to fix. Microsoft’s CorFlags command line tool – part of the .NET Framework – lets you modify the header flags on executable files, including the one that specifies when an application needs to be run in 32-bit mode. Setting this flag for our database application was a simple matter of typing CorFlags application.exe /32bit+"

But it didn't work. By the way my software is not the part of the .net framework as far as I know.But thanks anyway for all the help you provided me with.

Jagdish

NB: How do I go about voting you?

Hi Pluto99_999,Did you check this out as well. Seems more likely to be the cause than the other

Various files weren’t being found because on 64-bit Windows the “Program Files” folder is reserved for 64-bit applications only. 32-bit programs install into a folder named “Program Files (x86)”. Our test scripts included hard-coded paths that were failing because our 32-bit applications weren’t in their usual location.

If you come across a problem like this, you can easily fix it by removing explicit references to “C:Program Files” and using %ProgramFiles% instead (this clever environment variable should resolve to either “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)” depending on whether the process calling it is 64-bit or 32-bit). If you can’t get at the source to change the paths, a quick and dirty workaround is to manually copy your 32-bit files into “Program Files”. Once I’d done this, our benchmarks ran without a hitch.

Read more: How to make stubborn 32-bit apps work on 64-bit Windows | PC Pro blog http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/08/06/when-32-bit-apps-dont-work-on-64-bit-windows/#ixzz2Pu2EQG6F