groovyPost Forums

Windows 7 Pro - won't let me change passwords on any user accounts

kuzie
Go to solution Solved by dw96,

Help - I have a new HP Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC - trying to change user account passwords - have checked all of the security policy and user settings - all are good - when attempting to change the password - the PC chugs for a few minutes then gives me the "did not meet requirements etc" I have tried a password that meets the criteria - still doesn't work - help!

Help - I have a new HP Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC - trying to change user account passwords - have checked all of the security policy and user settings - all are good - when attempting to change the password - the PC chugs for a few minutes then gives me the "did not meet requirements etc" I have tried a password that meets the criteria - still doesn't work - help!

Are you logged into an Administrator account?

Yes - tried my account - which is an administrator and also enabled the Admin account to try there - no luck- I have Norton 360 installed on the PC and also just changed wireless to Motorola Surfboard - SBG6580 cable modem gateway -

This is an odd one. It sounds like your computer is hooked up to a domain or something.

Try going to the Start menu and typing in "lusrmgr.msc" This will open up the local users and groups manager. From here you should be able to right-click on a user and Set Password.

Tried that - won't let me do that either - shows all users in the Admin group, user group and the Home Group -

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have had the similar problem with multiple laptops in our company. It took us a long time to find a solution for this but we finally got it.

We have HP laptops and we had unistalled/disapled all the HP specific softwares that come with the laptop. E.g. some of the weird security applications. After this the password changing in Windows 7 stopped working. It behaved exactly like you describe above.

So we went to msconfig.exe and enabled all the HP specific services again from the Services tab (I guess the name of the tab is that, we don't have English Windows here). After a reboot the password change worked normally again.

• Solution

Check out this thing:http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You can create a bootable CD or DVD with which you can change any windows accounts and do actions like deleting/adding new accounts, changing passwords, removing passwords and so on. It is a bit tricky to work with, but it's perfect for a last-resort solution.

P.S.: Sorry for the quickie answer, I was just browsing and saw something I can give a quick contribution to in my few minutes of free time.