groovyPost Forums

How do you clear tag suggestions in windows 7 photo veiwer

Simon H
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

I tried looking in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSSoftwareMicrosoftWindows LivePhoto for a registry hey to delete but there was nothing there.

I alsdo deleted the file named Pictures.pd6 at C:Users[username]AppDataLocalMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery but the tag suggestions are still there.

I heard there was a navtree file that you can delete but my computer does not have this file.

I tried looking in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSSoftwareMicrosoftWindows LivePhoto for a registry hey to delete but there was nothing there.

I alsdo deleted the file named Pictures.pd6 at C:Users[username]AppDataLocalMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery but the tag suggestions are still there.

I heard there was a navtree file that you can delete but my computer does not have this file.

Can you add a screenshot for what you mean?

Tried upoading a screenshot but it doesnt work.

When adding tags to my pictures a list of suggestions pops up based on old tags that I have used in the past.

Even though I no longer have the pictures containing the old tags they are still listed in the pop upmenu.

I want to delete them but everything I have found regarding this has not worked.

Hi Simon,

I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery and other than a few links, I can't find a way to remove the tags. Here's a link however I think this is an older version of the gallery tool so it's probably no good to you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pix/archive/2008/03/21/how-to-clear-tag-suggestions.aspx

The blog has been dead for over a year now so you might want to try posting a comment on the new blog here:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/

Or perhaps bug them on their twitter feed here:

http://twitter.com/#!/windowslive

Let us know here if you get a solution!

• 10 months later...

Hi Simon - did you ever get this one figured out? Tough one...

Hi Steve,

The situation with Windows 7 photo viewer is worse than I first realised. The list of tag suggestions doesn’t just include old deleted tags; it includes the names of all the files in my documents folder.

Maybe WPV gets its tag suggestions from the list of indexed files, in this case I don't see how it would be possible to permanently delete the tag suggestions without messing up windows.

This became one of those small things that wasn’t worth spending any more time on so my solution has been to use adobe bridge to tag photos instead of WPV.

Gotcha -- I actually use Google Picasso for tagging. Works really well especially when you combine the facial tagging. Makes tagging photos with people really easy!

I did try that for a short while but it wasn't very good at recognising people correctly. Maybe I should have persevered with it and it would have got better with time.

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon,

I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery and other than a few links, I can't find a way to remove the tags. Here's a link however I think this is an older version of the gallery tool so it's probably no good to you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pix/archive/2008/03/21/how-to-clear-tag-suggestions.aspx

The blog has been dead for over a year now so you might want to try posting a comment on the new blog here:

Any luck with any of this Simon?

Hi Simon,

Not a twitter on twitter (forgive the pun) and even the windowsteamblog dont have an answer. I started using adobe bridge for tagging since I often using it to tweak exposure on raw image files it makes sense to tag the images at the same time. Google Picasso sounds interesting if the facial tagging works well but its a program I have never actually looked at.

Hi Simon,

@simonh good idea. I've never played with Adobe Bridge but I'll have to give it a shot.

@Steve Adobe Bridge definitely works for me and the more you use it the more useful it becomes, it makes me wonder why I overlooked it for so long.

It includes camera raw so if you have raw images it is easy to recover under and overexposed detail, literally you just drag a slider and the results are non-destructive.

It also works on jpegs, you can adjust the saturation or sharpness, fix colour noise, graining, colour cast and fringing all at the drag of a slider.

You can adjust specific tones and saturation levels just by dragging on an area of the image.

Bridge does so much that half the time I don’t even need to open Photoshop but images can easily be transferred if needed. You can also select multiple images and transfer them into Photoshop as layers of the same file.

As for adding tags to images I have now created several metadata templates in bridge containing masses of information which can be used to either append to existing metadata or replace it entirely across multiple images with just one click.

You can create your own categories and sub categories to filter images. Then it’s just a case of checking or unchecking the relevant boxes for each category or subcategory to display the images you are looking for.

You can also create and name collections of images for easy retrieval later. You can group images into stacks for easy viewing, display images in a Carousel format, create PDF contact sheets, web galleries and more.

I like it.

• Solution

@Steve Adobe Bridge definitely works for me and the more you use it the more useful it becomes, it makes me wonder why I overlooked it for so long.

It includes camera raw so if you have raw images it is easy to recover under and overexposed detail, literally you just drag a slider and the results are non-destructive.

It also works on jpegs, you can adjust the saturation or sharpness, fix colour noise, graining, colour cast and fringing all at the drag of a slider.

You can adjust specific tones and saturation levels just by dragging on an area of the image.

Bridge does so much that half the time I don’t even need to open Photoshop but images can easily be transferred if needed. You can also select multiple images and transfer them into Photoshop as layers of the same file.

As for adding tags to images I have now created several metadata templates in bridge containing masses of information which can be used to either append to existing metadata or replace it entirely across multiple images with just one click.

You can create your own categories and sub categories to filter images. Then it’s just a case of checking or unchecking the relevant boxes for each category or subcategory to display the images you are looking for.

You can also create and name collections of images for easy retrieval later. You can group images into stacks for easy viewing, display images in a Carousel format, create PDF contact sheets, web galleries and more.

I like it.

@Simon H I've never played with Bride and I just spent about 30 minutes playing around with it. Very nice.

Ya know, for file tagging / keywords I just can't find anything that works better for me than Google Picasa. Mainly this is because when I tag a photo, it's all about people first. I tag people quickly by using the facial technology and once all the people are tagged then I mass tag the various people albums using the IPTC tagging. It's super fast for me and works quickly.

I like it.

Just tried Picasa and I see what you mean about the people tagging, it does work very well. One thing, it took about 4 hours to scan all my pictures (about 100 GB)for faces, is this just a one off the first time you use it.

Apart from that it seems to run fast, tagging one group of 1,768 pictures virtually instantly. Bridge sometimes takes a few seconds with that many.

I also noticed the option to adjust the date and time stamps, I always forget to change the camera date when going to another time zone and bridge doesn't offer this option for some strange reason.

I like it.

Update I can not believe the accuracy of this face detection my daughter was detected in photos even whilst wearing hats, glasses, crazy make up and it even detected her from pictures when she was much younger, some that were also quite under exposed. It wont replace photo shop but I will be recommending picasa to everyone for sorting and tagging. Thanks for telling me about it.

• 3 months later...