groovyPost Forums

How to add a signature as layer in Photoshop Elements 10?

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

Picnik will stop working on 19th of april. And I don't like that because I always use Picnik for inserting text for a signature. So when Picnik stops I want a replacement. And that is Photoshop Elements 10. I allready have that so why shouldnt I use it. I also use Machinery HDR2. But that program doesnt have the option to insert text for a sig.

If I search for my question on Google all I get are youtube movies about how to custum made a sig in a picture using the text symbol. But that means I have to do it every time over and over again.

Q: Is there a way to create a layer with my signature in it, that I can use with ever new picture, just by inserting that layer? So I don't have to remake my signature every time?

• Solution

You are on the right track, what you need to do is create an image which contains your signature with a transparent background. Save this image as a Photoshop or GIF file because BMP and JPEG files can not be saved with transparent backgrounds.

Now whenever you need to add your signature to a new picture you can use the signature image as a layer.

There are a few different ways to use an image as a second layer. I use the full version of Photoshop with Adobe Bridge which allows you to open an image as a new layer. Not sure if you can do this with elements so if not try the following.

1. Open the new picture and the signature image in Photoshop Elements.
  2. On the signature image press ctrl + A to select then ctrl + C to copy it.
  3. On the new picture press ctrl + V to copy the signature image into it.
  4. Photoshop adds the copied image as a new layer (with elements you might need to first press ctrl + shift + n to open a new layer)
  5. Once the signature layer is added you can use the move tool to reposition and resize it as required.

You are on the right track, what you need to do is create an image which contains your signature with a transparent background. Save this image as a Photoshop or GIF file because BMP and JPEG files can not be saved with transparent backgrounds.

Now whenever you need to add your signature to a new picture you can use the signature image as a layer.

There are a few different ways to use an image as a second layer. I use the full version of Photoshop with Adobe Bridge which allows you to open an image as a new layer. Not sure if you can do this with elements so if not try the following.

4. Photoshop adds the copied image as a new layer (with elements you might need to first press ctrl + shift + n to open a new layer)
  5. Once the signature layer is added you can use the move tool to reposition and resize it as required.

Yes! Thank you!!

Nice Tip Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I am using Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Bridge but cant see any option to open images as layers. What version are you using.

I have CS5 as well, just select the images in bridge then on the menu bar select Tools > Photoshop > Load Files into Photoshop layers. This loads them as layers of the same Photoshop file.

If you’re not familiar with bridge you can also do it directly from Photoshop by selecting File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack. This opens a dialog box to browse to the location of the images; you then just select them and click ok.

There are other ways of doing this but I find these quickest.

• 6 months later...

This sounds like it would be so easy but I've been working on it for four days now... and still cannot get it to work. :{ I also used to use Picnik to add my sig on pics and I miss it so much! I've got Photoshop Cs3 and it seems to have all the tools to be able to do this, but no matter how hard I've tried, I simply cannot get the signature to import onto my pics as a layer. Any other suggestions? HELP!!

@MrsJonGilbert

I'm finding it hard to remember if the load files into stack command was introduced in CS3 or CS4 and I no longer have a copy of CS3 to test. However with CS3 you can definitely add the pictures as layers using the place command. Here is a step by step.

Open the first image in Photoshop, this is the one that you will be using as the background. Here I have used a picture that is just a yellow background but your picture can be anything you want.

alt text

Now click "File" then "Place"

alt text

Browse to where the second picture is stored on your computer

Click the image to select it then click "Place"

alt text#

You will now see the image contained in a bounding box and on top of the original picture.

alt text

To resize the image press the shift key then click and drag any corner of the bounding box.

To reposition the image click inside the bounding box and drag the image.

When you have finished press "return"

Here I have made the image smaller and repositioned it to the bottom right hand corner.

alt text

If you still have problems then let me know what steps you get to and what happens.

@MrsJonGilbertMy answer was too long for the comments box so I have added it as an answer below.

@MrsJonGilbert

I'm finding it hard to remember if the load files into stack command was introduced in CS3 or CS4 and I no longer have a copy of CS3 to test. However with CS3 you can definitely add the pictures as layers using the place command. Here is a step by step.

Open the first image in Photoshop, this is the one that you will be using as the background. Here I have used a picture that is just a yellow background but your picture can be anything you want.

alt text

alt text

alt text#

You will now see the image contained in a bounding box and on top of the original picture.

alt text

To resize the image press the shift key then click and drag any corner of the bounding box.

Here I have made the image smaller and repositioned it to the bottom right hand corner.

alt text

If you still have problems then let me know what steps you get to and what happens.

Hi Simon! Thanks so much for your help... I was actually able to get my signature to import-- WOOOHOO! Now iI've got a new issue! I cannot figure out how to get my signature transparent in CS3... I feel like such an idiot. I know how to create a transparent image in other programs but they are not importing into photoshop as transparent. So I've created a sig in photoshop but cannot figure out how to make it transparent... can you assist, please? I apologize ... I'm just terriby new at this software and don't know how to use many of the features! Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Joni

@MrsJonGilbert

alt text

alt text

alt text#

alt text

alt text

If they are not importing with transparent backgrounds its most likely that they were saved in a file format such as JPEG or BMP. These don't support transparent backgrounds and will add a white block around your image.

When saving the transparent signature files in your other program, underneath the file name box there will be a file format box. Open this box and choose the .GIF file format it may be listed as "CompuServeGIF(*.GIF)".

This will then import into Photoshop with the transparent background. I used a GIFF file to create the example I gave you above.

Let me know how you get on