groovyPost Forums

How to show RAW (.cr2) in Windows Explorer?

I recently bought a Canon 6D. And trust me, it rocks. But when I put the sd in my laptop, it shows only the .jpegs in a little preview,the raw files arent shown, other then the file name and a standard Windows Explorer picture.

How do I get Windows to show me also the RAW pictures without clicking to open them, and also without openening a third party program like Lightroom or photoshop?

Have you tried the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack, it supports loads of device formats including RAW (14Bit) files so it should work with your Canon files.

You can preview them in Windows Explorer and photo gallery.

Heres the linkhttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

I think this is what I was looking for! Thank you!

Ps. My Canon 6D is not listed in the row of camera's but im guessing it will be accepted, right?

Have you tried the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack, it supports loads of device formats including RAW (14Bit) files so it should work with your Canon files.

You can preview them in Windows Explorer and photo gallery.

Heres the linkhttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

Yes I noticed that the 6D wasn't listed but the 5D and 7D where, as far as I can tell the 5,6 & 7 all use RAW(14Bit) format so your files should be accepted. Perhaps the 6D isn't listed because its a fairly new camera anyway I hope its working ok. I use adobe bridge camera RAW to make non destructive edits on my RAW files so if you need any tips on those let me know.

Sorry to hear that, I never realised that camera manufactures changed the raw file compression so often. It looks like a lot of people are having difficulties with the 6D files due to the camera being relatively new.

When I looked into this further, Lightroom 4 and camera raw 7 were only updated in December 2012 to support the 6D files.

I don’t see any option but to wait until codecs are issued for windows, hopefully soon.

Additionally camera raw 7 only works with CS6 so 6D owners with CS5 will be disappointed.