groovyPost Forums

How could I permanently unlock iPhone 4 using iTunes?

Go to solution Solved by AitchB,

The question was "How to unlock my iPhone using iTunes" Unlocking any phone on its own does not need iTunes so I presumed he meant unlocking it so as to be able to use any other SIM card in it.

YOU MUST FIRST contact the original contract company (Orange UK in this instance). You must posses the original SIM card. They contact APPLE and about 28 days later they sent these instructions - received from handset.unlocking@orange.co.uk - all italics are my comments. Hope this helps someone

Please find the process for unlocking your Apple handset:-

IMEI: 01nnnnnnnnnnn (Originally iPhone on contract with Orange UK)

**Please note there is no code required to unlock your iphone/ipad

**Please make sure a back up is taken of your iphone/ipad

1) Insert a non-Orange 3G SIM card. This must be a network provider who also supplies the iphone/ipad.

2) Switch ON the handset.

3) Connect to iTunes using USB cable

4) Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)

5) The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.

6) Disconnect from USB then re-connect

7) Synchronise device with iTunes

8) Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked” If using IOS5 this message will not show

9) Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings

Your handset should now be successfully unlocked.

Should this not show, please keep other network 3G sim in the iphone and restore the iphone via iTunes making sure all data is backed up first.

You can also get some self help tips, please put the following into Google and search; support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

If your “restore” option is not shown when device is synchronised with iTunes, you must place the Orange sim (This is the original SIM Card) back into the iphone/ipad and update the software then “restore as a new device” and then follow the unlock procedure again with the other network sim inserted (The new or any other SIM Card)

Beware that if you jailbreak or just go to a phone store and unlock your iPhone, it will result in your iPhone being relocked automatically if you ever reconnect to iTunes for any reason.

To succesfully and permanantly unlock your iPhone you must use your phone company and Apple.

Ask your phone company to tell you how to get your phone unlocked correctly (presuming your contract allows it). The process takes a few weeks but it is the ONLY WAY to have a permanently unlocked iPhone that you can use as it was originally intended.

It took me a long time to find this out.

Not possible. If you don't have the pin.... you're pretty much out of luck.

Sorry that is wrong. (we don't know if he has the PIN or not!) If the contract has expired it can be unlocked. If it's jailbroken and unlocked DO NOT RECONNECT IT TO ITUNES, It will be restored back to the original provider.

Apple: To unlock, ask the provider to get the APPLE unlock code then do a restore. Apple tells their server to allow the unlocking. You need the ORIGINAL SIM card installed (of the last provider) and the PIN. Using others will not work (I've tried). If you wish confirmation contact Apple directly.

If you buy second hand be sure to have the SIM & PIN or it's worthless.

Not possible. If you don't have the pin.... you're pretty much out of luck.

Hi @AitchB -- Sounds like you know much more about this than I do hehehe... I would suppose you are correct. When he says unlock, I guess we don't know exactly how he wants to unlock it. From a security Pin or an unlock from a carrier perspective. Need more data you're correct.

• Solution

The question was "How to unlock my iPhone using iTunes" Unlocking any phone on its own does not need iTunes so I presumed he meant unlocking it so as to be able to use any other SIM card in it.

YOU MUST FIRST contact the original contract company (Orange UK in this instance). You must posses the original SIM card. They contact APPLE and about 28 days later they sent these instructions - received from handset.unlocking@orange.co.uk - all italics are my comments. Hope this helps someone

Please find the process for unlocking your Apple handset:-

IMEI: 01nnnnnnnnnnn (Originally iPhone on contract with Orange UK)

**Please note there is no code required to unlock your iphone/ipad

**Please make sure a back up is taken of your iphone/ipad

1) Insert a non-Orange 3G SIM card. This must be a network provider who also supplies the iphone/ipad.

2) Switch ON the handset.

3) Connect to iTunes using USB cable

4) Use the “restore” option within iTunes (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)

5) The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.

6) Disconnect from USB then re-connect

7) Synchronise device with iTunes

8) Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked” If using IOS5 this message will not show

9) Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings

Your handset should now be successfully unlocked.

Should this not show, please keep other network 3G sim in the iphone and restore the iphone via iTunes making sure all data is backed up first.

You can also get some self help tips, please put the following into Google and search; support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

If your “restore” option is not shown when device is synchronised with iTunes, you must place the Orange sim (This is the original SIM Card) back into the iphone/ipad and update the software then “restore as a new device” and then follow the unlock procedure again with the other network sim inserted (The new or any other SIM Card)

• 5 months later...

You can't unlock your Iphone4 permanently using iTunes. If you upgrade or update your Iphone4 it will get locked again. To unlock your mobile in a safe manner use remote unlocking service. Get the service from the site Theunlockarena.com ,and unlock it using unlocking instructions.

I said "Unlocking any phone on its own does not need iTunes"

DO NOT DO IT OTHER THAN HOW I SAID. YES YOU CAN PERMANENTLY UNLOCK THE IPHONE BUT BUT BUT you MUST do it through your ORIGINAL PROVIDER and APPLE.

GOING ANY OTHER ROUTE (like using an unlock service "The unlock arena") THEN THE FIRST TIME YOU CONNECT THE IPHONE TO ITUNES AFTER THEY UNLOCK IT* YOUR IPHONE IS RELOCKED BACK TO THE ORIGINAL PROVIDER.

*They didn't tell you that did they?

• 3 months later...

Spam Deleted

Mariyan Dhanush. Will you please answer YES or NO to the following question: If you use your Remote Unlocking Service at simple unlocking dot com and THEN you connect to iTunes will the iPhone be restored back to the original provider? Prove it to everyone with a Youtube video showing an unlock followed by a connection to iTunes.

Until you confirm YES or NO then I'd advise everyone to stay away from these companies and use the (just as cheap but at least legal and permanent) Apple service.

In fact these unlocking services are a waste of money.

Since posting a comment to Mariyan Dhanush (above) I checked out their website. I get this response for an iPhone 4s in the USA, UK and France with the leading operators.

"Unlocking services supported for your phone : We currently do not have any unlocking services that are supported by your mobile phone."

I do not expect to see a reply from Mariyan Dhanush. Why on earth did he/she post?

Since posting a comment to Mariyan Dhanush (above) I checked out their website. I get this response for an iPhone 4s in the USA, UK and France with the leading operators.

"Unlocking services supported for your phone : We currently do not have any unlocking services that are supported by your mobile phone."

I do not expect to see a reply from Mariyan Dhanush. Why on earth did he/she post?

A brand new user who seeks out a question that's already been answered and leaves a link to a paid for service or product.

Its SPAM, I will delete the link and report it.

• 10 months later...

Deleted user. Thnx guys.