groovyPost Forums

How To Clear iPad and iPhone Email Auto Complete History

Guest Linmik51
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

Guest Linmik51

How do I clear iPad email dropdown contact history? Inuse is 2 gmail accounts loging on using windows I have cleared contact history, but not actual contacts.MikeD

How do I clear iPad email dropdown contact history? Inuse is 2 gmail accounts loging on using windows I have cleared contact history, but not actual contacts.MikeD

Hi Mike - I don't fully understand your question so before I post an answer I thought I would see if I can get more info. Where exactly is this dropdown on your iPad? Is this when typing an email somewhere? And to confirm, you said you have 2 gmail accounts on your iPad that your trying to use as email so I assume that is the contacts your talking about.

• Like 1

Guest Linmik51

Hi ShockerSH - when creating or replying to email,completing address and you enter the first letter there is a dropdown of address from which to select. In this area it also keeps replied to address not just contacts. I have cleared them on the gmail accounts via the internet (PC), however when using the email on the iPad the old references keep appearing but not on the gmail account via the internet. I mention there are 2 gmail accounts only because my partner and I have one each and they can be both current on iPad email inbox. MikeD

Guest Linmik51

Are you comfortable with jailbreaking your iPad? If so, you can use BossPrefs to clear the email cache.

Thanks groovinJackman. At this stage I not comfortable with jailbreaking the iPad. Just don't know enough. MikeD

• Solution

So this is a great question. Apparently this is a KNOWN issue with the iPad and iPhone. I found some info on this in the Apple Forum.

Solution 1 https://discussions.apple.com/message/12529236#12529236

iBackupBot for iTunes.

I would recommend doing a backup of your phone directly before running the program, as the program pulls your latest backup.

Once open, you will select Plugin from the top menu and then select Recent Email Address. This will pull email addresses you have sent to. You can delete them individual. Once done, close out the pop up.

You will then select the icon for Restore Backup/File to iPhone/iPod touch. This will do a restore, only making the changes you selecting. Your iPhone will automatically restart. If you test one of the emails you deleted, you will see they no longer show up.

Solution 2 https://discussions.apple.com/message/11691816#11691816

For MAC users - You should be able to do this easily on your computer (not on your iPhone).

Open MAIL on your Mac. Click on Window, then on Previous Recipients. Highlight the name(s) you wished removed; alternatively, click one name, then choose Edit/Select All. Finally, to remove those selected, click on 'Remove From List' on the small Previous Recipients dropdown window. The next time you sync your iPhone, all should be fine.

Guest Linmik51

So this is a great question. Apparently this is a KNOWN issue with the iPad and iPhone. I found some info on this in the Apple Forum.

iBackupBot for iTunes.

I would recommend doing a backup of your phone directly before running the program, as the program pulls your latest backup.

Once open, you will select Plugin from the top menu and then select Recent Email Address. This will pull email addresses you have sent to. You can delete them individual. Once done, close out the pop up.

You will then select the icon for Restore Backup/File to iPhone/iPod touch. This will do a restore, only making the changes you selecting. Your iPhone will automatically restart. If you test one of the emails you deleted, you will see they no longer show up.

For MAC users - You should be able to do this easily on your computer (not on your iPhone).

Open MAIL on your Mac. Click on Window, then on Previous Recipients. Highlight the name(s) you wished removed; alternatively, click one name, then choose Edit/Select All. Finally, to remove those selected, click on 'Remove From List' on the small Previous Recipients dropdown window. The next time you sync your iPhone, all should be fine.

Thank you MrGroove. All the notes on iBackupBot/iCopyBot this seems to be the only answer. MikeD

iBackupBot for iTunes.

@linmik51 - excellent! Glad I could help!