groovyPost Forums

View history of websites visited over a wireless connection

Go to solution Solved by s3curityplu5,

Hello, I'm desperately looking for an answer so I'm hoping you can help me! I want to view the websites visited via my home wireless connection. I have a Motorola SBG900 router. I logged into the webpage but I cannot find a log telling me which websites were visited and at what time. Is there a log on this router? Please tell me there is. Thank you for your time.

Hi Michelle,

The User Manual for the Motorola SBG900 can be found here. I looked through it appears that the only logs it is capable of recording are those of firewall events. Those are explained on page 33, but I don't think those are necessarily the droids you are looking for. Sorry!

I looked at options for adding open source firmware to the router and enhancing it's features, but it is no dice. The router is just too old. You'll have to upgrade!

The other option for logging sites is to install Windows Family Safety on individual computers in the network. It is available as part of the Windows Live Essentials download.

• Solution

If you use OpenDNS as your DNS provider, after a week you can go into the control panel and see all the urls that your computers have visited. You just have to configure your router to use the following DNS servers 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. Remember that just because it says you went to a url does not mean that somebody typed that url in. Websites that you visit contain links to other sites, and any list is going to include many more sites than just ones that the person knowingly visited.

If you use OpenDNS as your DNS provider, after a week you can go into the control panel and see all the urls that your computers have visited. You just have to configure your router to use the following DNS servers 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. Remember that just because it says you went to a url does not mean that somebody typed that url in. Websites that you visit contain links to other sites, and any list is going to include many more sites than just ones that the person knowingly visited.

I like this solution, it's about the only way to do it that doesn't involve messing with individual computers.

Installing a software on each machine is going to be easier and far more accurate than messing with OpenDNS.