groovyPost Forums

How do I transfer Outlook address file(s)?

Hi,

My computer hard drive failed and I have a backup on an external drive. I re-installed all programs and then restored files from backup. I can see the addresses in one folder called contacts, but only by going to Contacts, lower left in Outlook. Is there a way for me to point Outlook at this folder, or transfer the list to another folder Outlook will see? Using "auto complete" quickly is my goal. Am I going to have to manually point Outlook to the address in the list, each time, until "auto complete" fills in?

Thanks for your help,

Shell Clark

If you can extract a single file from your backup, try this:

Exit Outlook entirely.Make a backup copy of the current file at: C:Users {username} AppDataRoamingMicrosoftOutlook (Profile_Name).NK2 (spaces added to directory structure for display)

Copy that file from your backup set to the same location on your new (current) installation.

Restart Outlook, check that your typedown is working.

Please let me know if this works!

Thx,Rick

Yup -- the NK2 files hold the autocomplete data you want.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My computer hard drive failed and I have a backup on an external drive. I re-installed all programs and then restored files from backup. I can see the addresses in one folder called contacts, but only by going to Contacts, lower left in Outlook. Is there a way for me to point Outlook at this folder, or transfer the list to another folder Outlook will see? Using "auto complete" quickly is my goal. Am I going to have to manually point Outlook to the address in the list, each time, until "auto complete" fills in?

Thanks for your help,

Shell Clark

And welcome to the site @TBL