groovyPost Forums

How to save and transfer PST files in outlook

Concerned MOM

Depending on the version of Windows your running, your PST file will be sitting in 2 differnt locations:

Vista and Windows 7:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Simply goto that folder and copy the file to your phone or USB drive. Then, when you goto your new company you can just add it back to your outlook client.

Make sense?

I have PST files going back over 10 - 12 years and whenever we have crashed or moved things to other computers, I have repeatedly found that someone along the way, may have changed the default directories that either the Outlook Data Files (both PST and OST files)were directed to.

Therefore, I would do a full search of your C: drive with Windows Explorer using both .PST and .OST, to identify ALL of the PST and OST data files on your computer. Then you can capture and transfer them.

Remember, some may have the same name but contain additional or different data so when copying them over, when asked if you want to keep the duplicate (if it is different in size and/or date) select the "Copy, but keep both copies" option.

Sometimes you may find that the PST or OST files are too large to transfer. In that case, you may want to look at "PST Split", which I have used successfully in the past which will split them into smaller files which can be transferred.

I am looking for an outside program, myself, that will take all of my PST files and put them into one database for quick access. For due diligience purposes or to comply with an information request, sometimes I have to go back 12 years. That is hard to do if you archive everything after 90 days.

• 3 months later...

I met up with some people who were part of the early development team for Microsoft Office and found out the limitation that is imposed upon me is that I am using an outside exchange server. I have switched to a dedicated server here (64 bit) on which I have unloaded all of my pst file so that I don't have to use the archived pst's to search through. This works, plus now I can sync my project files and also mirror over my e-mails and contacts for a shared pickup with the rest of my team on Sharepoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the version of Windows your running, your PST file will be sitting in 2 differnt locations:

Vista and Windows 7:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Simply goto that folder and copy the file to your phone or USB drive. Then, when you goto your new company you can just add it back to your outlook client.

Make sense?

This does make sense, and also I am now targetting to these locations to make sure that I get a backup every weeks of these files.