groovyPost Forums

uninstalling ubuntu

Go to solution Solved by eckiethump,

I Installed ubuntu os (a variation of linux I think)to try and see if it was better than windows. Unfortunately there is not a lot of software and as it is new to me I find it confusing so now want to uninstall it . It does not show up in windows or a partition of my hdd but windows will not work if I disconnect the hdd its installed on (its not my windows hdd.) My computer boots to Ubuntu screen then I have to manually select windows loader.

How do I remove it all?

If Ubuntu is on a separate HDD then to remove it you just need to disconnect the drive.

Then to make your PC boot into widows again you need to use the recovery console to restore the Master Boot Record.

You can do this from the F8 menu whilst booting the PC or if that won't work you can use a recovery disc.

If you don't have such a disc then get a mate with a windows PC to make one for you.

From the recovery console type BOOTREC /FIXMBR then press enter.

Additional info from Eckiethump:

If you have the original instalation disc you can use that instead of a recovery disc.

• Solution

Thanks Simon Experimenting myself I discovered that if I just disconnect the disc all I got was a message about something like cant find GRUB . Then dead stop. Looking at another site I found something similar to your suggestions so trying that with my recovery disc created when I installed windows 7 , it would not work , the dos command screen kept saying my commands were not recognised , or no such command . ! not recognised, !

I didn't know about the F8 option , something to remember.

In desperation I booted from my original installation disc and discovered a repair installation option which would recognise BOOTREC/FIXMBR, and it worked ,  so back to Windows 7.

So thanks for your interest and help Eckiethump.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Simon Experimenting myself I discovered that if I just disconnect the disc all I got was a message about something like cant find GRUB . Then dead stop. Looking at another site I found something similar to your suggestions so trying that with my recovery disc created when I installed windows 7 , it would not work , the dos command screen kept saying my commands were not recognised , or no such command . ! not recognised, !

I didn't know about the F8 option , something to remember.

In desperation I booted from my original installation disc and discovered a repair installation option which would recognise BOOTREC/FIXMBR, and it worked ,  so back to Windows 7.

So thanks for your interest and help Eckiethump.

Nice one,I should have mentioned the instalation disc in my answer. Glad you got it sorted.