groovyPost Forums

Internet TV Solutions and Similar Solutions? What's in the market?

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

After seeing the commercial for ChromeCast for the 10th time this week, my parents think that it might be worth paying $35 for it. I guess I'm not convinced just yet, being the skeptical person that I am.

The TV they currently have has 2 HDMI ports. The have a Roku unit hooked to 1 of the HDMI ports, which they use primarily for Netflix and Pandora. The TV is not a smart TV.

I guess the only reason why I think it would be worth their time throwing additional money at this is if they had free access to the internet, which it doesn't appear ChromeCast does. My parents don't use Hulu or GooglePlay. I don't know what Google Cast is or how it works specifically?

Are their other devices like this that has access direct access to the internet? Because if so, you can connect to Youtube, Pandora, and Netflix via the internet anyways.

• Solution

Chromecast is just Googles version of Roku and neither of these devices give free internet access.

Unless there is some extra content or additional channels on Chromecast then your parents would be just replicating what they already have. Kind of like having 2 Netflix apps on your phone.

As for other devices that do a similar thing, in the UK there has recently launched a product called the now box which sells for just £9.99 which is very similar to Roku and Chromecast

I expect others will follow.

Chromecast is just Googles version of Roku and neither of these devices give free internet access.

Unless there is some extra content or additional channels on Chromecast then your parents would be just replicating what they already have. Kind of like having 2 Netflix apps on your phone.

As for other devices that do a similar thing, in the UK there has recently launched a product called the now box which sells for just £9.99 which is very similar to Roku and Chromecast

I expect others will follow.

Much of what I thought, just needed confirmation. Thank you!