groovyPost Forums

Best Home Wifi Router for 2013

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

I'm in the market for a good WIFI router/switch/repeater. Looking for something with at least 5 1Gig ports and the ability to repeat/extend the signal to another Access Point which is up stairs so i don't need to run wired Ethernet to the other side of the house.

Looking online, This Western Digital N900 looks nice however it doesn't appear to have the repeater functionality.

Anyone buy anything recently which is working out well? Or got a tip on something out there?

Thnx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

This might not be what you had in mind but since no other answers thought I would post anyway.I have this Devolo dLAN powerline Wireless extender. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-500-Wireless-Starter/dp/B00A67I5EK/ref=pd_cp_computers_3

It works with any router by having the the transmitter plug connected to an Ethernet port on your router. This sends the signal over the powerline to the receiver plug which goes wherever you need it.

The signal is far more stable and faster than any repeater I have ever used. I guess this is becasue it doesnt have to rely on a diminishing signal as repeaters do.

The instructions are detailed, its easy to set up and the receiver plug also gives you 3 LAN ports.

This is a page from the manual showing a typical setup but you can also get additional revceivers if you ever require them.

alt text

• 2 weeks later...

This might not be what you had in mind but since no other answers thought I would post anyway.I have this Devolo dLAN powerline Wireless extender. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-500-Wireless-Starter/dp/B00A67I5EK/ref=pd_cp_computers_3

It works with any router by having the the transmitter plug connected to an Ethernet port on your router. This sends the signal over the powerline to the receiver plug which goes wherever you need it.

The signal is far more stable and faster than any repeater I have ever used. I guess this is becasue it doesnt have to rely on a diminishing signal as repeaters do.

The instructions are detailed, its easy to set up and the receiver plug also gives you 3 LAN ports.

This is a page from the manual showing a typical setup but you can also get additional revceivers if you ever require them.

alt text

Quite interesting!

alt text

OK -- I've been around Tech for a long long time and this slipped past me....

I was eyeing the various Link Extenders but I really like the idea of the powerline adapters. Not sure I can get that unit in the US but looks like several other options are available. Here's a netgear options for example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ILFFS6

Thnx for the Tip @Simon.

• 6 months later...

I'm in the market for a good WIFI router/switch/repeater. Looking for something with at least 5 1Gig ports and the ability to repeat/extend the signal to another Access Point which is up stairs so i don't need to run wired Ethernet to the other side of the house.

Looking online, This Western Digital N900 looks nice however it doesn't appear to have the repeater functionality.

Anyone buy anything recently which is working out well? Or got a tip on something out there?

Thnx

Can we get an update on this for 2014? Anyone has any dithers since the new AC standard?