groovyPost Forums

Are there still any advantages for buying Intel Vs. AMD?

Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

I've always been an Intel Bigot but now days, does it really matter? It seems like most of the software out there works just fine on both and when you look at the prices. I see several hundred ($$$) reasons to go AMD.

Thoughts? What does the Crowd Wisdom say about this one?

Personally, I like both AMD and Intel. It's just whatever comes in handy for you and what you can afford. I have been working with both AMD processors and Intel processors. I have to say Intel is cooler and "feels" a bit more stable, whilst some AMD processors can reach huge temperatures (mostly Athlon series and some 3x core ones).

You should just stick to what best fits you - Intel VS AMD is like Microsoft vs Apple - a neverending battle in which you can never determine a winner.

• Solution

So is Intel worth the premium... I don't think so but a lot of people still like to buy based on Branding instead of real data.

Anymore, both AMD and Intel are VERY close when it comes to performance and stability. In the past this was not always the case however now, if you pickup a copy of Windows 7, you should be just fine because almost all accessories and drivers and everything else should run just fine.

So if you need a good PC and your on a tight budget, AMD should be fine. If you have a few extra bucks and want to stick with what you know will work, go Intel. But like DW96 said above, it really just depends on you.

Guest pumpkinskin

So is Intel worth the premium... I don't think so but a lot of people still like to buy based on Branding instead of real data.

Anymore, both AMD and Intel are VERY close when it comes to performance and stability. In the past this was not always the case however now, if you pickup a copy of Windows 7, you should be just fine because almost all accessories and drivers and everything else should run just fine.

So if you need a good PC and your on a tight budget, AMD should be fine. If you have a few extra bucks and want to stick with what you know will work, go Intel. But like DW96 said above, it really just depends on you.

I'm always scared to go AMD. It seems like you get what you pay for.... so I go Intel as I always believe to pay a little more to get quality.