groovyPost Forums

How to edit the hosts file on mac os x

Guest pumpkinskin

Guest pumpkinskin

So I'm a Windows person and I just got a MAC and for the life of me I cant figure out how-to edit my local hosts file so I can hit my local test web server. Who can help me?

I'm running MAC OS X 10.6.7

Thanks!

The process is fairly simple as long as you don't mind getting into terminal. Here's the steps:

Press COMMAND+SPACEBARType TERMINAL <Enter>Type: sudo nano /private/etc/hostsEdit the fileCONTROL O to saveCONTROL X to exit

Edit the Hosts file like you would Windows at this point. IP address TAB domain name. Hope this helps.

The process is fairly simple as long as you don't mind getting into terminal. Here's the steps:

Press COMMAND+SPACEBARType TERMINAL <Enter>Type: sudo nano /private/etc/hostsEdit the fileCONTROL O to saveCONTROL X to exit

Edit the Hosts file like you would Windows at this point. IP address TAB domain name. Hope this helps.

agreed. Nothing more to say on that one.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By alexmvp
      I'm an old-school windows guy but I'm playing with a MAC at work (and typing on it now). Is there a simple way to take a screenshot kinda like the "PrintScreen" button on Windows? Trying to avoid buying Snagit on this MAC.
      Thanks
    • By Sengrath
      OK so here it goes:I have Virtual PC installed with two machines: 1 server 2008 , and one Vista.I set them up to have static IPs from on the same sub network(192.168.0.xxx), also I gave them the same domain (don't know how hat helps ..but i did it.If I ping each other they respond OK. Now what I need is for the serve 2008 Machine to provide to the vista client some services( just for test..nothing fancy):-i need to configure a domain( not sure if already did that-i need to configure active directory( to have 1 admin account , 1 user, 1 computer, 1 server)- i need to have a webhost on the server so that the client can go to iexplorer and access a simple web page- i need to have a ftp ( I installed FTP for win server 2008 but not sure I configured ok) with 1 file to be accessed from the client.- i need to have an exchange server with 2 mail accounts.- and last I need to be able to access the server remotely from the client.
      I am pretty sure some of the stuff is really easy( still I do not know how:D) and that some of the stuff is tricky .Thank you for your answers,Theo
    • By rogerthat
      My wife just bought a new macbook and got Lion OS X, but I still have Tiger. Is there a way for me to use her install disc to get the latest OS X on my older macbook? When I try, I get an error message: "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer."
    • By fragglerawk
      This is very frustrating. My site worked before, but now it does not. It looks good in iWeb, but when I publish it, all I see is the Home page. None of the links to the other pages are there. And when I type in the URL for the photo gallery manually, it doesn't load either. It doesn't even work when I publish locally. At my wit's end here!
    • By Austin
      Asim recently wrote me this email:

...Our company has a VPN that we loginto, I have a macbook pro machine andi have installed Windows 7 as a guestusing vm virtual box in this syste. Iam wondering, can we creat a vpnconnection on guest OS Windsows 7?
      I'm overwhelmed by the network optionsavailable and was hoping you couldprovide some direction...
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online