groovyPost Forums

Computer Freeze Using Google Chrome

Charlie

I've been visiting this site for some time now, but of late when using Google Chrome my laptop completely freezes when clicking on GroovyPost link for about 20 seconds. Noticed this with a couple of other sites as well but no freezing when using other browsers. What's going on? Suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated...

Check that you are using the latest version of chrome.

Does chrome work ok when in incognito mode, if so the freezing could be down to temp files or cookies stored in the browser. I have chrome set to delete all cookies on exit.

Check the extensions that are enabled in chrome. Try disabling them one at a time to see if it solves the problem.

Check that you are using the latest version of chrome.

Does chrome work ok when in incognito mode, if so the freezing could be down to temp files or cookies stored in the browser. I have chrome set to delete all cookies on exit.

Check the extensions that are enabled in chrome. Try disabling them one at a time to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for your response Simon. Tried all of your suggestions but the problem persists. Oddly, it's only been the Groovypost link/site which has been causing Chrome and my laptop to freeze. Sometime ago other sites such as "How to Geek" and "The Windows Club" were also freezing the browser and the laptop. (No such issue with IE10 or Firefox). I have the most up-to-date version of Chrome. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again...

The suggestions I gave above have always kept chrome running for me even with 40 or 50 tabs open.

I've heard of some folks disabling hardware acceleration to make chrome run better. I haven't tried this personally so it's a last resort suggestion. I think How to geek has posted this suggestion in the past so you may have already tried it.

If not here's a link to instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

The suggestions I gave above have always kept chrome running for me even with 40 or 50 tabs open.

I've heard of some folks disabling hardware acceleration to make chrome run better. I haven't tried this personally so it's a last resort suggestion. I think How to geek has posted this suggestion in the past so you may have already tried it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

Thanks again Simon. Yep tried that one too, but the problem persists. And Groovypost is the only link that replicates the issue. Figure that one out!

Nonetheless, in the Flags I enabled "Check for known conflicts with 3rd party modules." Hope this might yield some answers. If I find a solution I'll post it here but so far none researched on the internet have helped.

P.S. I even tried creating a new profile but no luck there either. Last resort I suppose would be to uninstall Chrome completely and see what happens.

But why the problem only persists with GroovyPost is the $60,0000 question!

It is interesting but one of those things that can take days of your time trying to figure out. I was going to suggest a new chrome profile but since you've already done that you could try creating a new windows user profile and see how chrome behaves on that.

Tried this trick and it has worked each time. If I launch Explorer IE10 or Firefox first and then start Google Chrome the problem resolves itself.

When all browsers are closed (including Chrome) and then Chrome is restarted the problem does not replicate itself.

Wow! I think I need to reconsider Chrome as a browser but the problem is that I quite like Chrome because of its speed. Suppose I'll have to persist with the "trick" or log on to GroovyPost with Explorer or Firefox.

If anyone has other solutions they would be greatly appreciated but I think I'll put this to rest. Thanks to all that have helped on this question...

Wow browsers not working correctly on particular sites is common but I have never experienced different browsers effecting each other in the way you describe or any way at all for that matter.

If this were my machine it would worry me that chrome works in conjunction with the other browsers. I don't think IE or Firefox are directly affecting Chrome but rather they are affecting something else on your computer which coincidentally fixes the chrome issue.

Its a total guess but I am thinking possible malware infection maybe a rootkit which is unable to affect chrome when certain IE or Firefox files are loaded into memory.

The only thing that makes me doubt this is that it only happens on this site.

The behaviour is strange enough to have me reinstall windows.

You could try scanning for malware but in my experience its faster and much more reliable to nuke the hard drive and restore from a know good system image.

If you can't do that then I would certainly be on lookout for any other strange behaviour. It just depends how important it is that you keep your machines clean and what you use them for.

Having said all that it may just be a bug in chrome which is rectified on the next update. Probably worth reporting the issue as well.

• 1 month later...

Update: I think I've finally got to the bottom of this...

Firstly, regardless of what iteration of chrome like browser installed all of them froze my laptop and chrome browser when accessing a particular website - namely Groovypost and The Herald Sun (Australia).

For the record, no other freeze problems when visiting other (numerous) web sites.

For each iteration of Chrome browser the freezing would stop when the following were disabled in chrome:flags - GPU composting and Threaded composting.

Hope this works for you if you've had similar issues. It worked for me!

Update: I think I've finally got to the bottom of this...

Firstly, regardless of what iteration of chrome like browser installed all of them froze my laptop and chrome browser when accessing a particular website - namely Groovypost and The Herald Sun (Australia).

For the record, no other freeze problems when visiting other (numerous) web sites.

For each iteration of Chrome browser the freezing would stop when the following were disabled in chrome:flags - GPU composting and Threaded composting.

Hope this works for you if you've had similar issues. It worked for me!

Thanks for sharing the solution,

Just to clarify you turned off GPU compositing as per the link in my previous post and this didnt work. You have now also turned off Threaded compositing and this solves the issue.

I'm wondering if just turning off Threaded compositing would also solve the issue.