groovyPost Forums

How can I download Email to Outlook on my PC and Laptop?

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

Hello ..... I have Outlook 2003 on my DeskTop which I work from when in my home office --- I have Outlook 2010 on my laptop which of course is my work station when I travel. I also have my account on my Android.My e mail address is from the earthlink.net domain.
I have my desktop and laptop both set to bring me the the mail from earthlink as I never go to that site at all.I have my desktop set to REMOVE data from server.. and on my laptop I have NO as well as on my cell NO.My challenge is not with my cell, however I would like to maintain all e mails on my laptop and desktop without losing them from either.Is there a way of setting up this? I often am traveling and trying to find an e mail that is on my desktop which causes me headaches..Thanks for any help and I hope I have made myself clear on my issue.Heinrich Klingeheinrichklinge@earthlink.net

• Solution

If I understand correctly you are unable to download some emails onto your laptop or cell because your desktop has already downloaded them and removed them from the server.

I assume you are using a pop3 email account so instead of setting your desktop to remove data from the server after downloading emails you could set it to leave a copy of messages on the server for a set time say 14 days. This will give you time to download emails onto all your devices before they are removed from the server.

To do this In Outlook 2003

1. On the “Tools” menu click “Email Accounts”

2. Select View/ Change existing email accounts

3. Highlight your existing email account

4. Click change > More settings > Advanced tab

5. In the Delivery section check the box "Leave a copy of message on the server."

6. Adjust the number of days that you need mail to be left on the server

7. Click OK > Next and Finish.

in Outlook 2010

Click the File tab > Account Settings

Click on account settings again then follow from step 3 above

alt text

If I understand correctly you are unable to download some emails onto your laptop or cell because your desktop has already downloaded them and removed them from the server.

I assume you are using a pop3 email account so instead of setting your desktop to remove data from the server after downloading emails you could set it to leave a copy of messages on the server for a set time say 14 days. This will give you time to download emails onto all your devices before they are removed from the server.

5. In the Delivery section check the box "Leave a copy of message on the server."

in Outlook 2010

alt text

Another option might be to leave it on the server by checking the bottom box from Simon's screenshot. That way it will sync on both systems unless you nuke it from the delete items folder.

• 2 weeks later...

in Outlook 2010

alt text

Thanks to Simon and Steve.... you both are wonderful with the advice.I picked it up from my e mail but just now found time to come and say THANK YOU...All the best and this was a very simple experience.Enjoy your weekend...Heinrich

in Outlook 2010

alt text

SIMON and STEVE...

Thanks so much for your assistance... I found it very helpful and got it all working as I need now.I reacted to your advice with the email notices and have only now found the time to come here ans say properly THANK YOU.I appreicated your responses and surprised they happend so quickly.

Heinrich

• 1 year later...

in Outlook 2010

alt text

No worries @heinrich - you are very welcome.