groovyPost Forums

How to save Windows 7 Searches and search again?

Go to solution Solved by Beyond_Life,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my computer. When I click on the Start Icon to search my computer for a specific item (Example: family birthday file) a complete listing of files relating to my search appears. After I select the file I am looking for only to find out it is not the correct one I attempt to return to the same list but it is no longer shown. I must retype my search item (Example: family birthday file) in the search field again to regain access to the file listings??? Is there a way to keep the original search data constant instead of having to start at step one every time to search for the same file??? This is such a waste of time. Yes I can cut and paste my original request so that I just paste each time I must continue with the same search for the correct file to show, but there must be a simpler way to save the original request until I no longer need it.Thank you for your helpKarl

• Solution

I understand your problem. And I've tried it several times on my W7 machine, but I can't find a way to keep that search term in place. It just keeps dissapearing every time I hit enter.

But there is a way you could search without retyping the search term.

• Press the windows button;
  • type in "Search"
  • Hit enter;
  • An Explorer window will open.

If you type in the search term in the upper right corner and hit enter, the search term will stay there and results will show up. Click anyt folder you want with your right mouse button and select "Open in new window". This way, all your search results will stay put in the first window.

I understand your problem. And I've tried it several times on my W7 machine, but I can't find a way to keep that search term in place. It just keeps dissapearing every time I hit enter.

• type in "Search"
  • Hit enter;

If you type in the search term in the upper right corner and hit enter, the search term will stay there and results will show up. Click anyt folder you want with your right mouse button and select "Open in new window". This way, all your search results will stay put in the first window.

Thank you very much. I am not as computer savvy as most so I feel a little embarrassed using this site and not being able to help others as much as you helped me. best to you.

There is also another method you can use to quickly deal with any similar searching issues, mostly if you often search with specific keywords:

• Go to the Start Menu
  • Type in whatever you want to search for
  • Click on "See more results" at the bottom of the menu
  • Click on "Save Search" on the blue menu at the top of the window:alt text

• Save your search with any name you want (for example, I will name mine Documents, since that's what I was looking for)

• To access a full list of saved searches, go to: C:Users*your username*Searches

Hope I helped!

• type in "Search"
  • Hit enter;

@cakarl60 Dont worry! Just by asking questions you are helping other people who have the same question! Welcome to the community!

There is also another method you can use to quickly deal with any similar searching issues, mostly if you often search with specific keywords:

• Go to the Start Menu
  • Type in whatever you want to search for
  • Click on "See more results" at the bottom of the menu
  • Click on "Save Search" on the blue menu at the top of the window:alt text

• Save your search with any name you want (for example, I will name mine Documents, since that's what I was looking for)

• To access a full list of saved searches, go to: C:Users*your username*Searches

Hope I helped!

Thank you much.