groovyPost Forums

How To install software with no cd/dvd rom?

Go to solution Solved by shockersh,

• Solution

You have a few options.

What I would do is use an app like IMGBURN and convert the DVD into an ISO file. Then copy the file to your sons computer using a thumbdrive or a HomeGroup share. From there he can install Magic Disk, Mount the ISO as a virtual CD and install the app. no problems.

If you search groovypost (www.groovypost.com) they should have an article there that talks about turning a DVD into an ISO file and installing a virtual CD ROM. I think VirtualDrive is still free.

Another option would be to just share the DVD drive using basic sharing then have your son connect to it and install it from there -- running setup.exe

Hope that helps...... A bit techy I know but I bet you can figure it out!

as far as software is concerned if you just type the name of the software you need into your search bar.several sites should show up.just click on the one you want.dont forget to type free then the software you want.for example FREE MICROSOFT WORD DOWNLOAD i would think you will be able to find software you need on one of the free sites.such as major geeks or softpedia or downloads.com.

• 5 weeks later...

I wrote an article on how to do it with USB Flash Drive.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-windows-8-from-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

This shows installing Windows 8, but you can use the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to install any operating system you have an ISO image of. Remember too that you will need to change your system boot option to USB.

• 1 year later...

I have MS Office Software that I would like to install on my sons notebook, but he has no CD/DVD rom. Is there a way to install it on his computer from mine?

I appreciate all of your assistance, but this is all way over my head. The computer is a paperweight now... I'll have to accept that, or pay someone to fix it. Thank you anyway.

I have MS Office Software that I would like to install on my sons notebook, but he has no CD/DVD rom. Is there a way to install it on his computer from mine?

@wilfulpride -- why don't you just buy a USB DVD Drive? They are like $30 on amazon. Here's a quick search - http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Writer-External-Optical-Drive/dp/B003M0NT1M

that should do the trick. Just plug it in and boom - done. Plus you can use the portable drive on any PC that ya need to.