groovyPost Forums

CCleaner deleted MS Outlook. HELP - All my contacts are gone & vital info

babyboomer1001
Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

I have Windows 7 and MS Office 2010, Norton 360 & CCleaner only for virus & registry scans. CCleaner deleted MS Outlook. I doubt very much it was Norton and I seem to recall that it was after the CCleaner scan & fix that I couldn't open Outlook anymore. I managed to create another Outlook file but contacts are empty. I had informational dates, addresses, birth dates, phone numbers and a whole host of other information that I had got to get back if I can. How can I undo the general cleaner and registry cleaner to before this happened? I have all of the CCleaner registry cleaners backed up - I just don't know how to undo the processes.

• Solution

If you backed up the registry before using CCcleaner you could try restoring that backup which should point your copy of outlook to the original data file containing your contacts etc. Go to where you saved the backup file and open it and choose yes, this will restore the backup.

If you didnt back up the registry successfully, check the Outlook files folder that is stored in your documents folder. Your original Outlook data file should still be in there. If so you can make the new outlook profile that you created use that data file.

If the original data file has been deleted do you have any backups of your documents folder which you can access to retrieve the old outlook data file.

If the data file is gone and you have no backups then do you have the contacts stored on a mobile phone or similar device that you can sync with outlook.

Otherwise you will need to re-enter all the contacts from scratch and after doing so I would backup the outlook data file. I back mine up at least once a week just in case.

Hope you get your stuff back

That sounds like strange behavior for CCleaner. Are you running an old out-dated version?

If it is the case, just restore a CCleaner backup of the registry.By default whenever you "Fix Selected Issues" in the CCleaner registry scanner it will ask you if you want to create a backup.

The default backup storage folder is your ~Documents folder. Registry backups are stored as .reg and usually follow the cc_12345678_123456.reg syntax. To restore one of these registry files, just double-click it and click Yes when Windows asks you if you want to allow it to modify the registry. Try restoring them in sequential order based upon Date Modified (latest to earliest) until your contacts reappear. If you get to the end of the list and your contacts are still missing, it wasn't CCleaner that destroyed your contacts.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like strange behavior for CCleaner. Are you running an old out-dated version?

If it is the case, just restore a CCleaner backup of the registry.By default whenever you "Fix Selected Issues" in the CCleaner registry scanner it will ask you if you want to create a backup.

The default backup storage folder is your ~Documents folder. Registry backups are stored as .reg and usually follow the cc_12345678_123456.reg syntax. To restore one of these registry files, just double-click it and click Yes when Windows asks you if you want to allow it to modify the registry. Try restoring them in sequential order based upon Date Modified (latest to earliest) until your contacts reappear. If you get to the end of the list and your contacts are still missing, it wasn't CCleaner that destroyed your contacts.

CCleaner doesn't remove programs unless it is instructed to, but as Dexter said - any and all of your "cleanings" are stored just for a situation like yours where you need to restore something (usually it's a change to the registry that was mistakenly deleted I find) but if it were by some slim chance caused by CCleaner, you can undo it. My money is on Norton however.