groovyPost Forums

Copy & Replace win 7 folders rather than merging them

Simon H
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

When I am copying a folder to a backup location where a folder already exists with the same name, windows 7 always asks if I want to merge the folder "Yes" "No" There is no option to copy and replace the folder like you get with individual files.

This means that the backup folder contains a copy of everything even old files that I have deleted and no longer need. I know I can delete or rename the old backup folder but this is a bit of a pain.

Is it possible to copy and replace the whole folder like we used to be able to do with windows XP

Why don't you use Ctrl+A to select all the files in the specific folder, go to the backup folder and Ctrl+v. You will get the "replace" question and can answer yes.

Thanks for the suggestion but I just tried it and it only gives the replace option for individual files. For the folders themselves it will only merge them.

• 3 months later...
  • Solution

Hi Simon,

If I understand your question fully, what you are looking to do is keep a backup and have the backup match the source.

First option would be to just use an app for this and keep it in sync automatically:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/freeware/microsoft-releases-synctoy-2-1-freeware-download/

Use the SYNC option and it will keep the source and destination copies of each other.

Second option is to use Robocopy. It's built into Windows 7 and if you use the /MIR command, again it will keep the folder in SYNC.

Command Usage Example:

ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

One nice thing about Robocopy is you can also script it and launch it with a batch file or scheduled task to say keep it updated daily or weekly etc...

Thanks Simon!

-Steve

Hi Simon,

If I understand your question fully, what you are looking to do is keep a backup and have the backup match the source.

First option would be to just use an app for this and keep it in sync automatically:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/freeware/microsoft-releases-synctoy-2-1-freeware-download/

Use the SYNC option and it will keep the source and destination copies of each other.

Second option is to use Robocopy. It's built into Windows 7 and if you use the /MIR command, again it will keep the folder in SYNC.

Command Usage Example:

ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

One nice thing about Robocopy is you can also script it and launch it with a batch file or scheduled task to say keep it updated daily or weekly etc...

Thanks Simon!

-Steve

Cheers Steve,

Excellent solution, just what I wanted for backing up my most important directories on an add-hoc basis without starting my backup software.

I have batch files all set up for my chosen directories and its much much much faster to sync rather than copy and replace them.

Nice one.