groovyPost Forums

How to close a single document in Word 2010?

Go to solution Solved by LaurenH,

When I use Excel 2010 I always get two "crosses" in the top right of the screen. One to close the current document, and one to close the entire program. This comes in handy when I have multiple documents open. But this isnt the case when I have multiple documents open in Word 2010. Then there is only one cross in the top right to close the entire program. When I want to close a document when I have more documents open, I have to go to "File" and close the document I want to close.

Is there a way, or a setting, with wich I can add or select the "close this document cross" to Word 2010?

• Solution

Hi Beyond_Life-When you have multiple documents open in 2010, you can simply click on the X to close the desired document. All others should remain open (mine behaves this way).

However, to address your question, you can use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + W to close just the document without closing Word.Hope this helps!

Hi Beyond_Life-When you have multiple documents open in 2010, you can simply click on the X to close the desired document. All others should remain open (mine behaves this way).

However, to address your question, you can use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + W to close just the document without closing Word.Hope this helps!

Great keyboard shortcut. Didn't know that one Lauren. Nice.

• 10 months later...

+1, Nice keyboard shortcut. Handy!

• 1 month later...