Austin

Windows 7 backup and restore

Question from a groovy reader:

Hi Austin,

I read your web page on backp/restore using M.S. backup as provided.

I have this BIG doubt, though:

If my Windows 7 does not boot due to failure or whatever, and I do have the backup image in a USB hard disk, how do I RESTORE the image back?

Up to Windows XP I have been using Acronis, and that software can boot itself from a CD, so even one can restore to a new hard-disk.

I have not bot Acronis because I read it has issues, possibly due to changes in Windows 7, so naturally I would like to use Microsoft backup, but am holding on answer to my questions.

I hope you can afford some brief help just to avoid surprises.

Thanks!

No problem.

First you would need to boot from a System Repair Disk, which you could create using another USB or CD/DVD. A System Repair Disk will boot separately from windows, it doesn't require Windows to be installed.

Once your System Repair is loaded it can then restore a system image with just a few clicks. If you notice during the creation of the System Image windows automatically prompts to create a System Repair Disk. But if you don't want to create one the Windows 7 installation disk/usb also works.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Simon H
      I tried looking in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSSoftwareMicrosoftWindows LivePhoto for a registry hey to delete but there was nothing there.
      I alsdo deleted the file named Pictures.pd6 at C:Users[username]AppDataLocalMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery but the tag suggestions are still there.
      I heard there was a navtree file that you can delete but my computer does not have this file.
    • By Austin
      Asim recently wrote me this email:

...Our company has a VPN that we loginto, I have a macbook pro machine andi have installed Windows 7 as a guestusing vm virtual box in this syste. Iam wondering, can we creat a vpnconnection on guest OS Windsows 7?
      I'm overwhelmed by the network optionsavailable and was hoping you couldprovide some direction...
    • By Myke46
      My G72 HP laptop (Win7 Home Premium) came equipped with Cyberlink's You Cam.I have had no problem with it as far as functionality but seems overly bloated.Is there a viable freeware alternative?
    • By kuzie
      Help - I have a new HP Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC - trying to change user account passwords - have checked all of the security policy and user settings - all are good - when attempting to change the password - the PC chugs for a few minutes then gives me the "did not meet requirements etc" I have tried a password that meets the criteria - still doesn't work - help!
    • By Simon H
      When I am copying a folder to a backup location where a folder already exists with the same name, windows 7 always asks if I want to merge the folder "Yes" "No" There is no option to copy and replace the folder like you get with individual files.
      This means that the backup folder contains a copy of everything even old files that I have deleted and no longer need. I know I can delete or rename the old backup folder but this is a bit of a pain.
      Is it possible to copy and replace the whole folder like we used to be able to do with windows XP

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online