groovyPost Forums

Windows 7 backup and restore

Go to solution Solved by Austin,

Question from a groovy reader:

Hi Austin,

I read your web page on backp/restore using M.S. backup as provided.

I have this BIG doubt, though:

If my Windows 7 does not boot due to failure or whatever, and I do have the backup image in a USB hard disk, how do I RESTORE the image back?

Up to Windows XP I have been using Acronis, and that software can boot itself from a CD, so even one can restore to a new hard-disk.

I have not bot Acronis because I read it has issues, possibly due to changes in Windows 7, so naturally I would like to use Microsoft backup, but am holding on answer to my questions.

I hope you can afford some brief help just to avoid surprises.

Thanks!

• Solution

No problem.

First you would need to boot from a System Repair Disk, which you could create using another USB or CD/DVD. A System Repair Disk will boot separately from windows, it doesn't require Windows to be installed.

Once your System Repair is loaded it can then restore a system image with just a few clicks. If you notice during the creation of the System Image windows automatically prompts to create a System Repair Disk. But if you don't want to create one the Windows 7 installation disk/usb also works.