groovyPost Forums

How do I change Office 2013 Color Scheme / Theme?

Rufio
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

My eyes don't like the brilliant white either, there's no way to change it just yet so feed back to Microsoft and tell them how the white burns your eyes.

If people suffer in silence then Microsoft may release it as it is.

Yeah I'm with you guys. The lack of any contrast makes it really hard to even use Outlook in its current form. I'm powering through it but... yeah... painful.

I've already sent a few requests in to add back other themes.

• 1 month later...

The new Office 2013 pure white background is too white. It burns my eyes. I have to turn my screen brightness down just to keep from getting a headache. Any fix for this or do we have to wait for retail?

This isn't an answer however, it is possible to change the color of the Outlook 2013 calendar... Just did a video on it here: http://www.groovypost.com/tips/change-outlook-2013-calendar-color/

My eyes don't like the brilliant white either, there's no way to change it just yet so feed back to Microsoft and tell them how the white burns your eyes.

It is possible to change the color of the calendar color but yeah... that doesn't really help much when reading email.

Day #2 of configuring new system with Windows 8 and just checking Outlook. That is the first I am looking forward to changing. How bright is the default? Can't believe there is no other theme. Are you guys using this seriously? Please provide darker themes. Thanks!

Tell me about it. It blinds me....

After using for a few weeks however, I'm getting used to the bright white. But yes, they REALLY need to add some color to it and add a little contract!

No way Microsoft will release it as is. I think this is there way to get people talking about it LOL @simon.

• 1 month later...

FYI -- I've confirmed with Microsoft they will be changing up the colors and allowing some changes to the default theme and contrast. FYI.

Apparently, they are hearing the complaints.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Good news - I just downloaded the RTM version of Office 2013 and they added the ability to change the theme!

All good! I just wrote up the how-to.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-office-2013-color-theme-outlook-word/

Note -- As of today 11/7/2012, you can only get the RTM (Final Release to Manufacturer Version) from Technet or an Enterprise Volume License Microsoft Account. So if you are still running the PREVIEW of Office 2013, the how-to above will not work.

The new Office 2013 pure white background is too white. It burns my eyes. I have to turn my screen brightness down just to keep from getting a headache. Any fix for this or do we have to wait for retail?

Not possible in the preview but it IS possible in the released RTM version. You need an MSDN or Technet version however here's the link: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-office-2013-color-theme-outlook-word/

• 3 months later...

to change the background colour in office 2013 follow these stepsright click on your desktopSelect PersonalizationSelect Window color at bottom of screenSelect Advanced Apperance settingsleft click on the window text pictureselect color 1 drop down boxselect otherthen move the crosshair to the color you require and press OK twicethen save changesAll office programme background colors will have changed