groovyPost Forums

trusting self signed macros

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

Sorry to bother you guys again but I’ve spent hours on this with no success.

I have some excel 2010 files containing self signed macros and want my mum to be able to use them on her new win 7 office 2010 computer.

I tried to import the certificate but it says it can’t import it because the certificate is not trusted. There is also a message that says the certificate doesn’t have a key. Not sure if this is anything to do with it but it works on my laptop without the key.

I have Googled this and followed Microsoft instructions to export and import the certificate and I have done this through internet explorer and excel but it just won’t work.

With her old XP office 2003 computer I just trusted the publisher but there isn’t an option to do that on her new one.

I have checked that macros are set to be disabled unless signed by a trusted publisher but can you trust yourself as a publisher on win 7 office 2010.

• Solution

Did you install the certificate in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities Directory?

After clicking to install the certificate you will need to select the option “Place all certificates in the following store” then browse to and select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and click Ok.

You will get a security warning but you can click yes because they are your macros.

This should install the certificate. You will need to open each Excel document and accept the macros it contains but you will only have to do this the first time. After that the documents will open with the macros enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you install the certificate in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities Directory?

After clicking to install the certificate you will need to select the option “Place all certificates in the following store” then browse to and select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and click Ok.

You will get a security warning but you can click yes because they are your macros.

This should install the certificate. You will need to open each Excel document and accept the macros it contains but you will only have to do this the first time. After that the documents will open with the macros enabled.

It works now thank you so much I was letting windows choose where to store the certificate before.