Austin

Two tiers of sheet tabs in Excel

Question

Mark writes:

Anyway, do you know how,or is it possible to have excel sheet bar displayed in, say two tiers?I do price lists for my company and we carry over 50 different lines of products (automotive) in one price list . So it is tiresome to be going from one end of the list to the other.

If it is possible,could you post a turorial? The result should look like this:

alt text

3 answers to this question

Just noticed this question.

I solve this problem by creating an index sheet containing a table with the sheet names. I then right click each sheet name in the list and create a hyperlink to its page.

The list can be sorted alphabetically so it’s easy to find what you want.

Instead of scrolling through dozens of tabs you just look down the list on the index sheet , click on the sheet name you want to view and you are taken straight there.

It will take a few minutes to set up all the hyperlinks but once done it will be much faster than scrolling through 50 tabs.

To save scrolling back to the index sheet I created a macro with a keyboard shortcut but you could also copy the table onto each sheet, that way you can instantly get to any sheet from any other sheet.

Depending on how your sheets are set out and how you use them, you could make the table horizontal and copy it to the top of each sheet and freeze the pane so that its always displayed. This would be very similar to what you want to do with the tabs but with the added benefit of the hyperlinks.

Just noticed this question.

I solve this problem by creating an index sheet containing a table with the sheet names. I then right click each sheet name in the list and create a hyperlink to its page.

The list can be sorted alphabetically so it’s easy to find what you want.

Instead of scrolling through dozens of tabs you just look down the list on the index sheet , click on the sheet name you want to view and you are taken straight there.

It will take a few minutes to set up all the hyperlinks but once done it will be much faster than scrolling through 50 tabs.

To save scrolling back to the index sheet I created a macro with a keyboard shortcut but you could also copy the table onto each sheet, that way you can instantly get to any sheet from any other sheet.

Depending on how your sheets are set out and how you use them, you could make the table horizontal and copy it to the top of each sheet and freeze the pane so that its always displayed. This would be very similar to what you want to do with the tabs but with the added benefit of the hyperlinks.

Awesome solution @simon h - very clever!