groovyPost Forums

How can i figure out who is texting me from a "text free" app?

samantha
Go to solution Solved by Austin,

i have someone leaving me awful text messages, i do not know the number and they will not tell me who they are. when i called the number i was informed that they are using the "text free app" and are unable to receive calls...is there anyway i can find out who this person is?

My advice. They are looking to get rise out of you. If you can't see it then you can't react to it. That will frustrate them and most likely loose interest.Block the message from that source! Problem solved.

Sam,

You're playing into their hands. Why so important that you know who? Is it affecting your day to day life with others? If its that necessary to know who then go to the authorities and contact your ISP.

They are getting the reaction from you that they want. And they will continue until you decide its not important.

PS...The short answer is NO you can't find out who it is. That's the whole point of those kinds of services.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Free text services and apps typically use a 5 digit common-short-code (CSC). These CSC are expensive short numbers used primarily by large businesses, licenses range from $500-$1500 per month so an individual will almost never ever have one of these. By default, most wireless carries accept incoming texts and phone calls from them.

If someone is texting you from such a number, there is no way to tell who it is.

But you still have a few options.

1. You can look up the shortcode provider and make a complaint directly to them, in which case their account might be deleted, and in the best case, your number will be blocked from their users.
  2. You can reply STOP to the number that is texting you and the service provider is likely to block people from sending messages to your number.
  3. Call your own wireless provider and ask them to block all the numbers. Some are able to block individual CSC numbers, but others might have to block ALL CSC at once.

For more information on CSC (Short Code Registry), see the U.S. official CSC administration page.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

i have someone leaving me awful text messages, i do not know the number and they will not tell me who they are. when i called the number i was informed that they are using the "text free app" and are unable to receive calls...is there anyway i can find out who this person is?

i have a similar problem i found out my mom is cheating using text me app through her iphone and i want to protect my dad so i need to find a way to find this guys number

If you must do something, confront you mother and tell her you know about her indiscretions. Do not threaten her by saying you're going to tell your dad. You don't know the whole situation. Most likely your dad is aware of your moms actions. They both love you. Don't cause this to put a wedge between the love they have for you. Stay out of things that are not your business.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I would like to find out also is there any other way you can find out who's using those text apps because someone's been sending text out to people acting like there me and saying harsh and rude things in those text and its ruined my reputation! i would love to find out a way to find out who's doing the texting!!!

• 11 years later...