groovyPost Forums

What's the cheapest Android phone?

Go to solution Solved by Jack,

I want an Android phone but don't wanna shell out big bucks. I keep seeing commercials for the Boost Android phone, but is it the same thing as like, a Samsung Galaxy S? Should I even bother getting this phone? Will the data plan be expensive? Can I get apps?

Guest Jacques Cubbie

I think it's important to pay attention which version of android it runs before buying. There's 1.6, 2.4 3.0 etc. Huge difference!

• Solution

The one you saw on Tv was probably the Samsung Prevail. It has Android 2.2 Froyo which is decent. Not sure if you can upgrade it or not. It's like $180 w/out a contract.

I think with AT&T prepaid phones, you HAVE to buy a data plan if you have a smartphone. I'm not 100% sure on that. It does say on the AT&T website that for GoPhones you can get the following pricing:

$.01 for 5KB (not available for smartphone plans)$5 for 10 MB$15 for 100 MB$25 for 500 MB

I think boost mobile has $50 unlimited data/voice for the Samsung Galaxy Prevail. You'll pay $180 for the phone upfront.

You can also get prepaid android phones on Amazon. Check this one out--it has Android 2.2 Froyo as well:

LG Thrive Prepaid Android GoPhone (AT&T)List Price: $199.99Price: $149.99 Free ShippingYou Save: $50.00 (25%)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W83SWI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=uncbwibl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B004W83SWI

alt text

The one you saw on Tv was probably the Samsung Prevail. It has Android 2.2 Froyo which is decent. Not sure if you can upgrade it or not. It's like $180 w/out a contract.

I think with AT&T prepaid phones, you HAVE to buy a data plan if you have a smartphone. I'm not 100% sure on that. It does say on the AT&T website that for GoPhones you can get the following pricing:

$.01 for 5KB (not available for smartphone plans)$5 for 10 MB$15 for 100 MB$25 for 500 MB

I think boost mobile has $50 unlimited data/voice for the Samsung Galaxy Prevail. You'll pay $180 for the phone upfront.

You can also get prepaid android phones on Amazon. Check this one out--it has Android 2.2 Froyo as well:

LG Thrive Prepaid Android GoPhone (AT&T)List Price: $199.99Price: $149.99 Free ShippingYou Save: $50.00 (25%)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W83SWI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=uncbwibl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B004W83SWI

alt text

More info about that phone:

3.2 MP camera with 4x zoomMemory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GBAndroid 2.2 operating systemMobile Email with Gmail, POP3/IMAP, and MS Exchange supportSize (LWH): 4.29 inches, 2.32 inches, 0.47 inchesWeight: 3.2 ouncesNetwork Compatibility: GSMPhone Book Capacity: 100 EntriesMinimum Rated Talk Time: 450 minutesMinimum Rated Standby Time: 480 hoursBattery Type: Lithium Ion

alt text

aLSO i THINK you can use an AT&T sim card in this phone like i fyou had an i phone you could just take out your sim card and put it in this android phone and use it like normal

You can get the Samsung Captivate for one cent (i.e. a FREE Android phone) from Amazon.com but you have to get an AT&T contract

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TLMQG8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=uncbwibl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B003TLMQG8

Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T)Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T)alt text

You should also ask yourself why you are looking for the "cheapest" phone on the market.... Do you want a "cheap" phone or an "inexpensive" phone. there is a difference....

That's really good advice--dont' focus on what you're paying, focus on HOW GOOD A phone you're getting. I bet you might be able to get a good deal from your carrier or you can wait for a promotion. Also, don't be afriad to look at older phones that stand the test of time. grooveDex has an Epic 4g from 9/2010 I think, and it's still a very good phone and now on sale for like $29.99 in some places.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/geek-stuff/the-beginning-of-a-love-story-samsung-epic/

alt text

Ugh that ends up being almost as much as just getting a regular smartphone contract. I guess you guys are right. It's probably not a good idea to be a cheapskate