groovyPost Forums

Reestablishing wi-fi connection

Go to solution Solved by zines,

I currently have a desk top and a lap top that until recently were both functioning well on my wireless local network. The lap top has recently dropped its connection. It no longer identifies as having a wi-fi adapter. Before I buy an external adapter I would like to know if there is/are any other remedies that should be considered.Thanks

• Solution

I am sure you are aware of this, but most laptops have a switch somewhere on it that will turn on and off the WIFI connection to it, your switch might be off. I am sure you are aware of this, but double check to make sure it is not off. It is usually on the side of the laptop.

If that is not the issue, then I am guessing you have already tried this, but if not, unplug the power cord from your modem and your router (if your router is separate from the modem). Plug in the router first and then plug in the modem next. DO NOT press the reset button (if either your modem or router have one), as this will reset everything to factory settings. It might take about 5 minutes for it to reconnect. If this doesn’t work, try this.

Open up a command prompt (go to the start menu of windows, click on run, and type in CMD, press enter). Then in command prompt window type this in:

Ipconfig /release

Ipconfig /renew

The release option will release any preexisting configuration for the IP address and then the renew will refresh it. If it still doesn’t work then you might have to restart the computer after this.

If restarting your computer doesn’t work then you might need to go into network settings on your computer and play with the IPV4 settings. Hard to tell you exactly what to do here, it all depends on the OS you are using and exactly how your network is setup (static VS dynamic IP).

You shouldn’t have to get a new wireless adapter, it is more than likely something else that is causing issues.

Some other things you can try are to take an Ethernet cable and plug it directly into the router from the laptop. If that doesn’t work then there might be something wrong with the router. You might need to power cycle everything again when you do this, including the laptop. If that still doesn’t work then remove the router and plug your laptop directly into the modem, power cycle everything again. If this doesn’t work, then there for sure is an issue with your Internet service provider, which you will need to call. If plugging it directly into the modem works, then there for sure is something wrong with the router and you will need to check the settings on the router or your router is dead, more than likely it would be a settings issue though. When plugging directly into the router or the modem I would suggest turning the WIFI switch off on the laptop.

There should be no reason to buy a new adapter. I hope this helps, if it does please vote it up.

I am sure you are aware of this, but most laptops have a switch somewhere on it that will turn on and off the WIFI connection to it, your switch might be off. I am sure you are aware of this, but double check to make sure it is not off. It is usually on the side of the laptop.

If that is not the issue, then I am guessing you have already tried this, but if not, unplug the power cord from your modem and your router (if your router is separate from the modem). Plug in the router first and then plug in the modem next. DO NOT press the reset button (if either your modem or router have one), as this will reset everything to factory settings. It might take about 5 minutes for it to reconnect. If this doesn’t work, try this.

Open up a command prompt (go to the start menu of windows, click on run, and type in CMD, press enter). Then in command prompt window type this in:

Ipconfig /release

Ipconfig /renew

The release option will release any preexisting configuration for the IP address and then the renew will refresh it. If it still doesn’t work then you might have to restart the computer after this.

If restarting your computer doesn’t work then you might need to go into network settings on your computer and play with the IPV4 settings. Hard to tell you exactly what to do here, it all depends on the OS you are using and exactly how your network is setup (static VS dynamic IP).

You shouldn’t have to get a new wireless adapter, it is more than likely something else that is causing issues.

Some other things you can try are to take an Ethernet cable and plug it directly into the router from the laptop. If that doesn’t work then there might be something wrong with the router. You might need to power cycle everything again when you do this, including the laptop. If that still doesn’t work then remove the router and plug your laptop directly into the modem, power cycle everything again. If this doesn’t work, then there for sure is an issue with your Internet service provider, which you will need to call. If plugging it directly into the modem works, then there for sure is something wrong with the router and you will need to check the settings on the router or your router is dead, more than likely it would be a settings issue though. When plugging directly into the router or the modem I would suggest turning the WIFI switch off on the laptop.

There should be no reason to buy a new adapter. I hope this helps, if it does please vote it up.

Thanks for your reply. This is still a work-in-progress.