groovyPost Forums

Windows Home failure configuring update when applying updates

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

• Solution

What version of windows are you using?Is windows attempting to install more than one update? If so try selecting just one update from the top of the list to install and follow any instructions to reboot your machine.

If this installs ok then try the next one in the list, again following any on screen instructions.

Continue until you have installed all the updates or until you find the update that is causing the problem.

One you have found the update causing the problem continue to install any other updates one at a time that are left in the list then try installing the problem update once more.

If it still doesn’t install we can then identify what it’s for and whether or not it is actually needed on your machine.

If it’s not needed then you can hide / ignore that update. If it is needed then we can give further directions on how to re-download the update.

• 2 months later...

OK, I was able to update each of the 23 updates individually all but this one:

Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685811)

This is the one that was preventing all of the other updates from installing.Any ideas on what to do about this one?

I remember this update on one of my win 7 machines. It has been quite a widespread problem and there are lots of suggested fixes, none of which seem to be completely reliable and none of which I have tested personally.

In my case I just restored my machine from an image which solved the problem. Since this is unlikely to be an option for your machine there are 2 things that you could do.

(1) Hide the update, it fixes issues with the kernel mode driver framework so if you have never experienced any problems with drivers and all your devices are working correctly then hiding it would be a time efficient solution.

Hiding the update won’t affect the security of your machine because it’s not an important or a security update it’s a recommended one and if you do get problems later you can always unhide it and attempt to sort it out when needed.

(2) If you don’t like the idea of hiding the update then Let me know what (if any) error message you get, then I will give you links to the solutions that best fit for you, although it may be that none of them work and you end up hiding the update anyway as many people have done.

Simon HWill hiding the update keep it from interfering with other updates later? This update was causing all 23 updates to fail. I was able to get 22 of them to install when I applied them individually as was suggested by your earlier post. I have no problem hiding this one if that will keep it from causing a problem with future updates.Please advise and thank you for your help.

Simon HWill hiding the update keep it from interfering with other updates later? This update was causing all 23 updates to fail. I was able to get 22 of them to install when I applied them individually as was suggested by your earlier post. I have no problem hiding this one if that will keep it from causing a problem with future updates.Please advise and thank you for your help.

Yes that's right when you hide an update it prevents it from interfering with future updates or anything else for that matter.

It wont attempt to install again unless you specifically restore that hidden update.

Just right click the update and choose hide.