groovyPost Forums

error 0x80040154

Hi.Today is going from bad to worse.I have a an error 0x80040154 occurring.I tried to restore my PC to an earlier time and I now have this message. What does that mean? How can I fix it please. Some of my desktop gadgets that I have had for a long time have now disappeared. Thank you.

If the error occurred after using system restore you can reopen system restore and choose undo.

If it occurred before, do you remember what you were doing at the time. Were you installing / uninstalling new software. was it a new program that you were running. Can you turn the gadgets back on or are they gone completely.

Just to be on the safe side I would back up all your files and program data right now if you haven't already done so.

If the error occurred after using system restore you can reopen system restore and choose undo.

If it occurred before, do you remember what you were doing at the time. Were you installing / uninstalling new software. was it a new program that you were running. Can you turn the gadgets back on or are they gone completely.

Just to be on the safe side I would back up all your files and program data right now if you haven't already done so.

Hello Simon. Thank you for responding to my question.This is what I was doing. My LIBRARIES DIRECTORY is somehow all messed up.I was finding a restore point.Then did it.Then got an error message.I don't have a windows CD. Nothing with my PC.(A few months ago.)Confused. Wishing I was GEEK! Cheers Telse

Sorry - I meant a Windows CD never came with my HP laptop???I've only had my new PC a few months.

Hi Telse,

Had to add this as an answer as it was too long for a comment.

First, don’t worry about not receiving a windows CD, your laptop should have a recovery partition which contains all the system files that would be on the CD if you ever need them.

To double check my understanding on this:

• You had a problem with your libraries.
  • You used system restore to fix the problem but it didn’t work.
  • After running system restore the error message was displayed.

The bad news is that I am not 100% sure what the error 0x80040154 is referring to in this instance.

The good news is that the libraries are basically just links to folders so it’s possible there is a simple fix to this depending on what the problem is.

1. You said the libraries are messed up, can you explain exactly what the problem is that you are having with your libraries.

2. Do you remember doing anything with the libraries before the problem occurred like adding or removing folders, anything that might help.

3. Did your gadgets disappear before or after using system restore and can you add them back.

4. Does undoing the system restore make the error go away

Once you get back to me on these we can work out the best way forward

Hello Simon,I think I have my library folders problem sorted out-although I'm not sure if I resolved the problem correctly. The problem was that My Desktop link 'mysteriously' disappeared into my Pictures folders. Then to access my Desktop link I would have to go into my Pictures first. Made me crazy because I use this link the most. My downloads link disappeared too. When I would try and drag it out-it would want to link to Favorites, so I ended up having 5 Desktop links in Favorites.I got confused and frustrated.So this is when I decided to find a restore point when my links were the default locations.I did not havemany restore points to choose from, because I don't know how to create them. The restore point I chosesaid 'critical updates'-I picked that date because that is when I remember my default locations were OK.Now I'm thinking Geez-that was really stupid!To answer your question- No I can not get my gadgets back. Clock,Calender and the Windows Media Center.I wanted to go back and see if I could undo what I did,as you suggested.I can access my control panel,but some of the important links do not work now, such as; Action Center,Recovery,Uninstall Programs etc...So back to Libraries.Finally realizing that they are just links.I deleted them all. Then went into Users and then created a new Library. Now Desktop and Downloads is under Libraries.I think I recall Desktop being between Favorites and Libraries??- but at least I can access the link without having to go into Pictures,Docs. etc...Thank you for patience,help and listening to me ramble. By the way I think this site Rocks!Cheers Telse.

Hi Telse,

Had to add this as an answer as it was too long for a comment.

First, don’t worry about not receiving a windows CD, your laptop should have a recovery partition which contains all the system files that would be on the CD if you ever need them.

To double check my understanding on this:

• You had a problem with your libraries.
  • You used system restore to fix the problem but it didn’t work.
  • After running system restore the error message was displayed.

The bad news is that I am not 100% sure what the error 0x80040154 is referring to in this instance.

The good news is that the libraries are basically just links to folders so it’s possible there is a simple fix to this depending on what the problem is.

1. You said the libraries are messed up, can you explain exactly what the problem is that you are having with your libraries.

2. Do you remember doing anything with the libraries before the problem occurred like adding or removing folders, anything that might help.

3. Did your gadgets disappear before or after using system restore and can you add them back.

4. Does undoing the system restore make the error go away

Once you get back to me on these we can work out the best way forward

Hello Simon,I commented to your questions in Answer.I would just like to add, I have my gadgets back. Wasn't that hard if I just right clicked Desktop-Gadgets.Geez-I have been really confused since this error thing happened.I think I am trying to do too many things at the same time. Learning Geek...one day @ a time. Cheers Telse

Good to hear you sorted it all out.

These tips might come in handy next time, you can add or remove items from your library to suit your own needs. To add a folder to a library right click the folder and choose "Include in library" then select which library you want to add it to, as in the image below

alt text

To remove an item just right click it and select “remove location from library” as in the image below.alt text

You can also restore your default libraries by right clicking on libraries and selecting “Restore default libraries” as in the image below. This would have instantly removed all the extra desktop shortcuts etc that you dragged into your pictures library. You could still use this option if they are not exactly as they were before. Had I know the exact nature of the problem this would have been my first advice to you.

alt text

The list of favourites is again just a set of links to folders. To add a link for a folder just open the folder that you want to add, for instance “My documents” right click on ”Favourites” and choose “Add current Location to Favourites”. You can also add your Desktop and Downloads folders back to favourites in the same way and any other folders that you use frequently. That way those folders are just one click away no matter what folder you are in.

alt text

You can remove any of the links from the list by right clicking them and selecting "Remove" as in the image below.

alt text

As you have discovered, you can drag items into and out of libraries and favourites but using the right click menus should avoid items being dragged into the wrong place as was happening before.

If you need any more help just let me know

These tips might come in handy next time, you can add or remove items from your library to suit your own needs. To add a folder to a library right click the folder and choose "Include in library" then select which library you want to add it to, as in the image below

alt text

To remove an item just right click it and select “remove location from library” as in the image below.alt text

You can also restore your default libraries by right clicking on libraries and selecting “Restore default libraries” as in the image below. This would have instantly removed all the extra desktop shortcuts etc that you dragged into your pictures library. You could still use this option if they are not exactly as they were before. Had I know the exact nature of the problem this would have been my first advice to you.

alt text

The list of favourites is again just a set of links to folders. To add a link for a folder just open the folder that you want to add, for instance “My documents” right click on ”Favourites” and choose “Add current Location to Favourites”. You can also add your Desktop and Downloads folders back to favourites in the same way and any other folders that you use frequently. That way those folders are just one click away no matter what folder you are in.

alt text

You can remove any of the links from the list by right clicking them and selecting "Remove" as in the image below.

alt text

As you have discovered, you can drag items into and out of libraries and favourites but using the right click menus should avoid items being dragged into the wrong place as was happening before.

Thank you so much Simon.Libraries has been confusing from the start.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

You are welcome Telse and you are not alone, many people find libraries confusing.

Coincidently I received this article just today. Check it out, it gives a good explanation of libraries.

http://ask-leo.com/just_what_are_windows_7s_libraries_and_how_do_they_work.html?awt_l=OIPMw&awt_m=J4eWWI0rPZdfbL

There is also a good write up on libraries on this site with instructions on how to set up a custom library.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/stay-organize-with-microsoft-windows-7-libraries/

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

Hello once again Simon. Just letting you know all is back to normal.(for the time being). I happened to be reading about windows Security.There was a link to recovery.I was able to access this and find the restore point 'undo' this worked.Thanks again for your help.Cheers Telse