groovyPost Forums

Can I retrieve deleted emails from Outlook 2010

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

• 3 weeks later...

You're in luck. Files deleted are still recoverable unless you pressed Shift+Delete (the permanent delete shortcut) to remove them.

The easiest way is to download the Microsoft Fix It tool, which automates the process of recovery.

If you want to manually recover the emails launch the Recover Deleted Emails tool from the Tools menu.

Nice find on the fix it tool however this approach only works if you have a Microsoft exchange server account.

• Upvote 1

• Solution

If you have a Microsoft exchange account then you can follow the advice above.

If you use Outlook at home and don't have an exchange account then you can still retrieve emails after they have have been deleted from the deleted items folder.

This is because when you delete emails from the deleted Items folder, they disappear from outlook but are still stored in your PST file. Its a bit like when you delete a file from your computer but its still actually stored on your hard drive until it is overwritten.

This is why Outlook needs to periodically compact the PST file to regain the space taken up by deleted items.

If the PST file has not been compacted since you deleted the emails from the deleted folder then you can retrieve them by corrupting the PST file and recovering the email using SCANPST

Here is guide with step by step instructions on how to do this and I would always backup the pst file by copying it to another folder before trying this.

http://www.groovypost.com/forum/microsoft-office/how-to-corupt-an-outlook-pst-file-to-recover-delete-email-t95682.html

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

If you have a Microsoft exchange account then you can follow the advice above.

If you use Outlook at home and don't have an exchange account then you can still retrieve emails after they have have been deleted from the deleted items folder.

This is because when you delete emails from the deleted Items folder, they disappear from outlook but are still stored in your PST file. Its a bit like when you delete a file from your computer but its still actually stored on your hard drive until it is overwritten.

This is why Outlook needs to periodically compact the PST file to regain the space taken up by deleted items.

If the PST file has not been compacted since you deleted the emails from the deleted folder then you can retrieve them by corrupting the PST file and recovering the email using SCANPST

Here is guide with step by step instructions on how to do this and I would always backup the pst file by copying it to another folder before trying this.

http://www.groovypost.com/forum/microsoft-office/how-to-corupt-an-outlook-pst-file-to-recover-delete-email-t95682.html

Simon has it right. I've used this tip from the groovypost forum before.

As Simon mentioned, they are stored in the PST file because the file is just a database and as long as you've not compacted it, you can still get to the files using SCANPST after you've corrupted the PST file. It sounds scary but it really does work. I've done it. ;)

I dont think you can retrieve emails deleted from Deleted Items folder. Anyway, you can see if this can help youhttp://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/ie/recover-deleted-email-in-microsoft-outlook-from-any-folder/

Yeah I think this only works if you have Microsoft exchange running vs. running outlook at home where you have everything in PST files.

• 3 months later...

SPAM - Deleted Answer

Unless you pay $50 the software you recommend only lets you preview lost emails. It doesn't save them back into a working PST file.

Paying for this software would be crazy when Microsoft Office already has a free built in PST Repair Tool called SCANPST its location depending on your version of office is either

C:ProgramFiles MicrosoftOffice Office14 SCANPST

OR

C:ProgramFiles(x86 MicrosoftOffice Office14 SCANPST

OR

C:ProgramFiles MicrosoftOffice Office12 SCANPST

This should be your first port of call when repairing a PST file or retrieving deleted emails.

• 4 months later...