erwalker

Outlook Contact Lists and Sending Emails

Question

I know I can send an email to my contact list without everyone seeing everyone else's email address by using the bcc function. I know there is a way to send one email to everyone in the contact list so that it looks like only that one person is getting the email. There email address alone would show in the to box. I don't know how to do this.

3 answers to this question

I believe what you are referring to would be mail merge, which you can initiate in Outlook or Word, using Outlook contacts or a separate list. Not sure which version you're using so I recommend googling "mail merge Outlook 20XX" and using your version. Let me know if you need further clarification. I hope this helps!Lauren

I believe what you are referring to would be mail merge, which you can initiate in Outlook or Word, using Outlook contacts or a separate list. Not sure which version you're using so I recommend googling "mail merge Outlook 20XX" and using your version. Let me know if you need further clarification. I hope this helps!Lauren

This is great! Thanks. I have Office v.2010. When starting from Word, I cannot see my contact group as the source. I researched this and found an article that addresses using different Outlook profiles that would cause groups to show, but it does not appear that I have that option available. When starting the mail merge from Outlook, the message I received is that contact groups cannot be used in mail merges. I tried to copy the members of my group to put them in an Excel spreadsheet and use that as the source when starting from Word, but could not determine how to copy, either. Your continued support is appreciated! This has to be less difficult than I am making it.

Well, one would think, right? Except that Microsoft often doesn't take the user-friendly route. I don't believe that there is a way to use mail merge and contact groups (aka. distribution lists) OR a way to export them.

If you will be doing this frequently it might be worth using a category to id everyone in that group. You can do this in bulk by opening the contact group, selecting all of the entries and selecting the 'Categorize' drop down.

Then, you'll need to group by category, select that group and/or all other desired contacts and then merge from there using "only selected contacts". {not the only way, just one way}

Sorry, there may be something more streamlined than this but it's the best I can come up with. Will post if I think of any other options.Good luck!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      A feature I use all the time in Microsoft Outlook 2013 (Office 2013) is the ability to open a calendar invite during a meeting and click - Meeting Notes. See screenshot from Outlook 2013.

[attachment=0]outlook-2016.jpg[/attachment]

After installing Office 2016, when I open up outlook I no longer have that option in the calendar. It's just missing.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

Hopefully this is just an issue with the Preview and it will get fixed later during full release.
    • By pts123
      I have tried other Forums and no one seems to have a fix for this, but I just keep on trying.

I am having an issue with the “Junk” filter in Microsoft Office Outlook 2010. I am unable to stop some email from being filtered and moved to the “Junk” filter. My mail is filtered prior to my getting it, so I WANT IT COMPLETELY OFF! I went to the Junk drop down on the Home menu bar and selected Junk E-mail Options. I click on the lowest setting being . . . No Automatic Filtering. Mail from blocked senders is still moved to the Junk E-mail Folder. And I have no one listed in the Block Senders list, so that should mean, nothing is filtered. But, a small portion of my e-mail still ends up there. Ahhh – I and can’t stop it.
    • By johnstanly8
      I am using Outlook 2003.I have huge numbers of .pst files . I want to manage Outlook by dividing PST files by Folder. But i don't want to compact files.

-Jhon
    • By Steve
      Question from Reader - Email Form

Hi Tom,

Ouch. I know how it feels losing a days worth of work. The worst part is when you have to recreate what you've already done.

To answer your question, when you found the Entry "OutlookSecureTempFolder" what was the path in the DATA column? I assume you reviewed this post here to find it. It looks like you found the registry key entry so your more than 1/2 way there. Find that key again and you should have the path to your OLK folder and your Excel should be sitting there.

Now the path might be a bit confusing because with Outlook 2007, there actually is "NOT" an OLK folder. For instance, on my XP/Outlook 2007 install, my OLK folder or "Temp Outlook Folder" / "OutlookSecureTempFolder" is:

"c:\Documents and Settings\mrgroove\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\4V32TZLP"

So if you look on your box you will find what your looking for in the "Content.Outlook" folder. Take a look there and your golden.

Let me know how this works for you!
    • By texmex
      Hey Mr Groove! Love the site and really enjoyed your last article!

I have an idea for a new article on groovypost for you! You need to write something on all the different search syntax that can be used in outlook 2007!

I only use a few of the features but would love to get the inside scoop.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online