groovyPost Forums

How to disable the Googly bar showing up?

I use Chrome (and thats causing this, i guess) and I have google Desktop installed. And ever since I got in to Google+ there is a bar on top of my screen, below the adressbar, popping up where ever I go. News site? Theres the bar. Going to some site thats unrelated to Google? Hello bar. Going to watch some pr0n? Hello bar.... And its getting annoying. How can I disable that bar? Do you gu?ys have it too? The long black thing saying "+Robert The interwebs Pictures Vids Maps News Gmail More"??

• 3 weeks later...

I use Chrome (and thats causing this, i guess) and I have google Desktop installed. And ever since I got in to Google+ there is a bar on top of my screen, below the adressbar, popping up where ever I go. News site? Theres the bar. Going to some site thats unrelated to Google? Hello bar. Going to watch some pr0n? Hello bar.... And its getting annoying. How can I disable that bar? Do you gu?ys have it too? The long black thing saying "+Robert The interwebs Pictures Vids Maps News Gmail More"??

This has something to do with Google Desktop, that is for sure. I am not having this problem at all using Chrome and Google+.

Also, I would never, ever use Google Desktop.

Why wouldnt you use Google Desktop?

Many privacy and civil liberties groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) have concerns that personal information on people's computers could readily be copied from users' hard drives.

Google Desktop version 3 contains certain features that raise serious security and privacy concerns. Specifically, the share across computers feature that introduces the ability to search content from desktop to desktop greatly increases the risk to users' privacy. If Google Desktop V.3 is set to allow Search Across Computers, files on an indexed computer are copied to Google's servers. The potential for information stored on their computers to be accessed by others if they enable this feature of Google Desktop v. 3 on their computers should be seriously considered. The EFF advises against using this feature. Also, those who have confidential data on their work or home computers should not enable this feature. There are privacy laws and company policies that could be violated through the installation of this feature, specifically, SB 1386, HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA and Sarbanes-Oxley.

Other more far reaching concerns arise around the packaging and end user license agreement - specifically the level of intrusion on the local machine and the disclaimers that users implicitly agree to future changes in the license agreement without actually being able to see them immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Desktop

@Beyond_Life read the terms of service on Google Desktop and review what it's doing while on your box..... it's a bit too broad for me.

Many privacy and civil liberties groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) have concerns that personal information on people's computers could readily be copied from users' hard drives.

Google Desktop version 3 contains certain features that raise serious security and privacy concerns. Specifically, the share across computers feature that introduces the ability to search content from desktop to desktop greatly increases the risk to users' privacy. If Google Desktop V.3 is set to allow Search Across Computers, files on an indexed computer are copied to Google's servers. The potential for information stored on their computers to be accessed by others if they enable this feature of Google Desktop v. 3 on their computers should be seriously considered. The EFF advises against using this feature. Also, those who have confidential data on their work or home computers should not enable this feature. There are privacy laws and company policies that could be violated through the installation of this feature, specifically, SB 1386, HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA and Sarbanes-Oxley.

Other more far reaching concerns arise around the packaging and end user license agreement - specifically the level of intrusion on the local machine and the disclaimers that users implicitly agree to future changes in the license agreement without actually being able to see them immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Desktop

Great Post