groovyPost Forums

Can I run outlook on a chromebook?

Guest grettawallace
Go to solution Solved by alexmvp,

Guest grettawallace

A 4g chromebook seems perfect for work/travel. But can you use Outlook? It has aDifferent operating system and everything is web based. So how am I supposed to access allThe things I need?

• Solution

LIke Bogdan said above, Microsoft Outlook only works currently on the MAC (Office 2011) and Windows (Office 2007, Office 2010) platform. Still no Linux (Ubuntu) platform yet.

That being said, if your using Outlook for work, your company might have what's called "Outlook Web Access" or OWA. This is Outlook in the browser and this will work on any browser.

So check with your company IT guys for the OWA access link and you "might" be good to go. If your a home user however, your kinda outta luck at that point. :)

Yo, you should read this post for more info about the Chromebook and what it does and doesn't do:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/news/is-google-chromebook-for-you/

Of particular note to you:

The entire OS is basically the Google Chrome web browser, made bootable, with a few extra perks thrown in. If you do find that you need to run a desktop app, you can stream them from a remote Windows Server using a new piece of software called Citrix Receiver.

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=1689163

LIke Bogdan said above, Microsoft Outlook only works currently on the MAC (Office 2011) and Windows (Office 2007, Office 2010) platform. Still no Linux (Ubuntu) platform yet.

That being said, if your using Outlook for work, your company might have what's called "Outlook Web Access" or OWA. This is Outlook in the browser and this will work on any browser.

So check with your company IT guys for the OWA access link and you "might" be good to go. If your a home user however, your kinda outta luck at that point. :)

He's asking about Chromebook, which runs Chrome OS. Not Linux. Chrome OS cannot run any programs locally. However, Outlook Web Access might just be the right solution.

No, you definitely can't. Outlook is Microsoft proprietary software and, since Chromebooks mostly run things in Google Chrome, you'll probably be stuck with Gmail. But then, you can always use Gmail as an email client.

And I would recommend doing so. My business email is @jackbusch.com and it's Gmail all the way through.

Note that Outlook Web Access is possibly the worst experience I've ever had with email. (aside from the "new" Yahoo mail).