groovyPost Forums

Cannot connect to the internet

Go to solution Solved by Austin,

Question from Reader:

I need help connecting to the internet. I can get connected if I plug Ethernet cord straight into the computer, but if I plug Ethernet cord into router my computer can see router, but can't connect to internet. My service provider can't get to me until Jan.11th. I will lose it before then. Can you please help me?

Question from Reader:

I need help connecting to the internet. I can get connected if I plug Ethernet cord straight into the computer, but if I plug Ethernet cord into router my computer can see router, but can't connect to internet. My service provider can't get to me until Jan.11th. I will lose it before then. Can you please help me?

1 - Did this ever work? If yes, what changed?2 - When you say Router, do you mean Wireless Router? Are you trying to connect through the Router using Wireless?3 - If wireless, I assume you can connect wirelessly to your router but then no internet right?

Sorry - I need more information (as do all of us trying to help you) before we can help you.

Thanks!

-Shocker

Question from Reader:

Yes it did work before, but I didn't have a modem at that time. Now I have a modem with cable and a Netgear wireless router. I can connect to the router, but no internet. Dish Net hooked this up yesterday and after tech left I couldn't login wirelessly.

Thanks,md

Question from Reader:

Update. I was able to reboot modem & router last night. It started working. Used all evening and when I tried to logon this morning it doesn't work. Rebooted modem and router again with no luck this time.

Here's how your setup "should" work.

The Cable Modem is what brings in Internet Service into the house. If you plug into that Cable Modem, boom -- you have internet.

Now, plugin the Wireless Switch. The Wireless switch does nothing more than extend the signal from the Cable Modem to both the Wireless network and the physical switch (if you plug directly into the wireless switch with a network cable). Obviously you want to connect to the wireless signal so that's obvious.

What should be happening then is when you connect to the wireless switch (via WIFI / Wireless) it should pass your connection to the Cable Modem which will then give you an IP address and other important information like DNS and a Gateway etc...

What could be a problem your having is

1 - Wireless Switch is broken2 - Wireless Switch is misconfigured

Now being that it was working and now it isn't.... that tells me you have a hardware issue, not a configuration issue so you need to get a tech onsite to swap out some hardware.

However, if you want to troubleshoot. If it was me, I would login to your wireless switch and make sure you disable DHCP. This will prevent you from getting an IP address from the Wireless Switch vs. the Cable Modem. Now, reboot everything including your computer and try again. You should get an IP address now from the Cable Modem and be golden.

Hope that helps...

• Solution

It sounds like the there is some kind of compatibility issue between the router and the modem.

Most common, is the router is not automatically receiving an IP form the modem's built-in DHCP server. If you can login to the modem directly (connect your computer to the modem directly and visit its IP) by visiting it's local IP (probably 192.168.1.1) then you might be able to manually assign an IP address to the router in its software. Once done there, the same thing would need to be done to the router.

Another issue, although less common, is that the ISP could be taking issue with the MAC address of your router. I had this problem once and had to use MAC address cloning to duplicate the modem's MAC address onto the router in order for the connection to go through, and then I just forwarded the modem's connection to it.

In either case it may be beneficial to contact your ISP.

Question from Reader:

Update. Dish came out again and found that the settings were not correct on the dish itself. Go figure lol. Working fine and continuously now :) Thanks to all who tried to help me it was greatly appreciated!