groovyPost Forums

"GPS" tracking on mobile

Go to solution Solved by Rufio,

Hey all

I am 3g iphone user and would like to do tracking for one of my son (6-year-old) of his whereabout especially when I am overseas.

He is an Android user.

Can I know if there is an apps that I can make use of to do tracking. I do not need to track him every second, every minute though..... just wana make sure that he is safe whenever I cant reach him on his mobile.

But I do not wana intrude into his privacy so if the apps can be made in a way that he is not aware that he is "being tracked" would be better

Seriously.....

you want to use a tracking app to check that your 6 year old son (an Android user ) is safe???

Is he not with a responsible adult that you can contact?

Or is this a typo and he is not 6 but 16 years old

If he is 16 then you would be intruding on his privacy by tracking him even if you did so without him knowing.

Plus a tracking app will only tell you where his phone is not that he is safe.

Seriously.....

you want to use a tracking app to check that your 6 year old son (an Android user ) is safe???

Is he not with a responsible adult that you can contact?

Or is this a typo and he is not 6 but 16 years old

If he is 16 then you would be intruding on his privacy by tracking him even if you did so without him knowing.

Plus a tracking app will only tell you where his phone is not that he is safe.

Hi simon

Let me clarify further(1) yes it is confirm no typo error on my end here. My boy is really 6-year old without the '1'.

(2) most of the time he is with my maid and i am dead worried as a mum that's all. This maid of mine jus got on board with us for a span of 3 weeks only. Hence the only way i can think of is to do tracking on my son who carries a mobile. Blame me for being a feaky mum but that is for sure a tenporary measure (i hope).

Fine if there's no apps to share but pls dun doubt what i intend to do. Tq

Hi garfield

This wouldn't fit onto a comment so had to add it as an answer.

I have my own children and grandchildren so I don’t think you are freaky for worrying about your own son and I believe 100% that you intend to check that he’s safe. It’s the way you intend to go about this that I have very serious doubts about. I mistakenly thought this would have been obvious so to be clear this is why the tracking app won’t work.

Tracking apps only track the phone, which is of no use tracking your son if the phone is lost, stolen, damaged, turned off or has a dead battery. If we avoid all of these scenarios and the tracking app works to its maximum accuracy of around 40 feet, that only tells you approximately where your son is. It doesn’t tell you whether or not he’s safe.

To put it bluntly you don’t know if he’s safely tucked up in bed, falling down the stairs or choking on a Lego brick. You don’t know if the maid has left him crying, you don’t know whether or not the maid is meeting his basic needs, you don’t know anything about his state of health or safety.

This might be scary but it’s true. A tracking app won’t tell you any of this, how could it it’s just a tracking app not a child monitoring app. It’s designed to track phones it isn’t designed to track something as valuable as your 6 year old son or check on his safety.

I’m not judging you, I’m just saying you are mistaken or misinformed of what a tracking app can do. You have to travel overseas and can’t be with your son all the time and it’s only natural that you want to check that he’s safe.

The point is I could have mindlessly given you a link to a tracking app but I didn’t because it’s not the correct answer. Tracking apps are absolutely useless for checking on your child’s safety and only provide you with a false sense of security, which is fine until something goes wrong.

As for the people on here who give you bad advice, where will they be if something does go wrong? If the worst happens it won’t be their child in danger or being neglected, it will be yours. I doubt they even have children of their own otherwise they wouldn’t give such bad advice where a child’s safety is concerned.

I don’t know what the answer is for your circumstances, a trusted adult who can work alongside the maid until you fully trust her, friends or relatives that could help out, hidden web cams so that you can actually see what’s happening. I don’t know but one thing is for sure, the tracking app is not the answer unless you want to bury your head in the sand and as you have said from the start you want to check that your son is safe.

I hope you do find an answer

Simon

Hi garfield

This wouldn't fit onto a comment so had to add it as an answer.

I have my own children and grandchildren so I don’t think you are freaky for worrying about your own son and I believe 100% that you intend to check that he’s safe. It’s the way you intend to go about this that I have very serious doubts about. I mistakenly thought this would have been obvious so to be clear this is why the tracking app won’t work.

Tracking apps only track the phone, which is of no use tracking your son if the phone is lost, stolen, damaged, turned off or has a dead battery. If we avoid all of these scenarios and the tracking app works to its maximum accuracy of around 40 feet, that only tells you approximately where your son is. It doesn’t tell you whether or not he’s safe.

To put it bluntly you don’t know if he’s safely tucked up in bed, falling down the stairs or choking on a Lego brick. You don’t know if the maid has left him crying, you don’t know whether or not the maid is meeting his basic needs, you don’t know anything about his state of health or safety.

This might be scary but it’s true. A tracking app won’t tell you any of this, how could it it’s just a tracking app not a child monitoring app. It’s designed to track phones it isn’t designed to track something as valuable as your 6 year old son or check on his safety.

I’m not judging you, I’m just saying you are mistaken or misinformed of what a tracking app can do. You have to travel overseas and can’t be with your son all the time and it’s only natural that you want to check that he’s safe.

The point is I could have mindlessly given you a link to a tracking app but I didn’t because it’s not the correct answer. Tracking apps are absolutely useless for checking on your child’s safety and only provide you with a false sense of security, which is fine until something goes wrong.

As for the people on here who give you bad advice, where will they be if something does go wrong? If the worst happens it won’t be their child in danger or being neglected, it will be yours. I doubt they even have children of their own otherwise they wouldn’t give such bad advice where a child’s safety is concerned.

I don’t know what the answer is for your circumstances, a trusted adult who can work alongside the maid until you fully trust her, friends or relatives that could help out, hidden web cams so that you can actually see what’s happening. I don’t know but one thing is for sure, the tracking app is not the answer unless you want to bury your head in the sand and as you have said from the start you want to check that your son is safe.

I hope you do find an answer

Simon

I'll add my 2 cents.... I agree with @simon, if your son is 6 years old, you should know where he is at all times anyway. If he's not at school being watched, hopefully he's at home with your wife or the person you have watching him and is in fact being watched at all times. If you ever need to know where he is, just call the care giver or the school. Problem solved.

If you need something more than that -- IE: a tracking device in the event the child is kidnapped <eek> then perhaps get an RFID put under the skin. Do they make those? Sounds a bit sci-fi...