groovyPost Forums

date and time keep changing in the windows 7 taskbar whenever the p.c.is shut off and restarted.

Sir,

I have to change and bring the date and time up to 2012 every time I switch off the p.c. and restart.It invariable goes back to some date in 2010.Reformatting and change in battery has been done.I have a desktop.What could be the remedy?I have to reset every time I start.Thanks,

Try changing your BIOS time. If you've gone ahead and changed the battery all by yourself I'm guessing you know how to access the BIOS (usually F2/F9/F12).

Look for something like this:
alt text

It's my best guess... Funny how a friend of mine has the same problem and hasn't resolved it yet.

If it keeps reverting back to the same date and time, that does sounds like the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs changing. Is this the battery you are referring to that you have already changed?

Do you get any errors on screen at start-up such as CMOS Read Error, CMOS checksum error, or CMOS Battery Failure.

If you have changed the battery did you make sure it went in the correct way round.

Other ideas, the new battery could be faulty or the contacts could be damaged.

If it keeps reverting back to the same date and time, that does sounds like the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs changing. Is this the battery you are referring to that you have already changed?

Do you get any errors on screen at start-up such as CMOS Read Error, CMOS checksum error, or CMOS Battery Failure.

If you have changed the battery did you make sure it went in the correct way round.

Other ideas, the new battery could be faulty or the contacts could be damaged.

If I were to make a bet on this, my guess would be the CMOS batter is bad. That's the only reason I can think of that would keep setting resetting the time.

Another issue...... could be a virus however this is rare.