groovyPost Forums

Pondering security programs

Go to solution Solved by Austin,

Just wondering if anyone's running Microsoft Security Essentials and how this program rates.Am currently running PC Tools Spyware with Antivirus,a very good tool but is going to expire and I think it's too expensive.Also heard a lot of good things about AVG,but am interested mainly in the Microsoft.Any help about these two programs would be appreciated.

I have been using MSE for my organization (@ 40 individual computers) and could not be more pleased. Reports indicate it has better benchmarks than other programs, and it runs smoothly in the background.

On the AV Analyst report for 2011, it came in around #5 overall above all the major vendors as well like McAfee, TrendMicro, Symantec etc... IAnd it's free.

Just wondering if anyone's running Microsoft Security Essentials and how this program rates.Am currently running PC Tools Spyware with Antivirus,a very good tool but is going to expire and I think it's too expensive.Also heard a lot of good things about AVG,but am interested mainly in the Microsoft.Any help about these two programs would be appreciated.

I swear by MSE. It's great, simple and free. It's right there at the top of the rankings also based on time to find malware and release an update.

That said, you should probably do well with either but I'd vote for MSE.

• Solution

Dottech did some comprehensive comparison testing of the free suites out there. Avira is better than MSE on several fronts, but MSE is free and doesn't display advertisements like Avira does.

With that said I would stick with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). There is absolutely no reason for a home user to pay for Antivirus nowadays. And if you are in a corporate environment, absolutely steer clear of Norton, Mcafee, and Trend Micro.

-- Performance --

alt text

-- Malware Removal Score --

alt text

[images from Dottech.org]