mosy

windows laptop doesnt update

Question

Please Help

My laptop hasn’t updated windows update or Microsoft security esentioals since 04/9/2012 at 08:08When I try to do manual update I get error 80072f8f. I was told to make sure time, date and zone are all correct but it still not work and internet time will not synchronize either. I have windows vista on a hp pavilion dv6 32bit.

5 answers to this question

Don't do a format just yet,

Iv'e seen the exact same problem 3 times on Vista machines and it was always to do with the date being set incorrectly.

Try resetting the time and date from within the bios.

1. Press the power button to turn on your computer
  2. Press F10 key to enter BIOS setup screen
  3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the date and time fields
  4. Refer to the instructions at the bottom of the screen to select and edit the date and time feilds
  5. Once you have entered the correct time and date press F10 to save and exit

If that doesn't work there are a couple of other things to try, let me know what happens.

Sounds like you got a virus so nasty it might have disabled your anti-virus software. OUCH!

I'd do a clean reformat. And install Windows 7 or Windows XP. Vista is horrible.

Don't do a format just yet,

Iv'e seen the exact same problem 3 times on Vista machines and it was always to do with the date being set incorrectly.

Try resetting the time and date from within the bios.

1. Press the power button to turn on your computer
  2. Press F10 key to enter BIOS setup screen
  3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the date and time fields
  4. Refer to the instructions at the bottom of the screen to select and edit the date and time feilds
  5. Once you have entered the correct time and date press F10 to save and exit

If that doesn't work there are a couple of other things to try, let me know what happens.

Yes the date on bios was 2001 I corrected this using f5 f6 buttons and everything has updated now.

Sounds like you got a virus so nasty it might have disabled your anti-virus software. OUCH!

I'd do a clean reformat. And install Windows 7 or Windows XP. Vista is horrible.

Yes I am thinking of Windows 7

Windows 7 Please. XP is..... dead. :)

Security updates are going to be limited moving forward and you really should be using a modern OS. ;)