groovyPost Forums

How do I make a year-button data validation in Excel?

Austin
Go to solution Solved by Austin,

Beatrice writes:

I have a question, I know how to do a data validation drop down but I need the one list with two buttons in the same cell and a range of years.Do you know how to do this?

I work for the school district and they need a particular calendar. They have a cell where you can list the year but it list whole number with a range of 1999 to 2999 and has two buttons.... one to go up in years and one to go lower... Hope this makes sense

• Solution

Sure do!

This function you are describing is called a "Spin Button" in excel. There are also two-types of Spin Buttons: Form, or ActiveX.

A Form Spin Button is easier to use, but an Active X can be customized more.Here's how to add them:

1: First, enable the developer Ribbon in Microsoft Excel.detailed instructions here
2: On the developer tab,click Insert > Spin Button (form control).

alt text

3: Click on the location in the document that you want the up/down buttons to appear. They are not locked into cells so you can move and resize them freely.

alt text

4: Make sure the spin button is selected, and then click Properties on the ribbon.

alt text

5: Fill out the values as needed. The cell link is the cell in the spreadsheet they will show up in.

alt text

Hope this helps!

Sure do!

This function you are describing is called a "Spin Button" in excel. There are also two-types of Spin Buttons: Form, or ActiveX.

A Form Spin Button is easier to use, but an Active X can be customized more.Here's how to add them:

1: First, enable the developer Ribbon in Microsoft Excel.detailed instructions here

alt text

3: Click on the location in the document that you want the up/down buttons to appear. They are not locked into cells so you can move and resize them freely.

alt text

4: Make sure the spin button is selected, and then click Properties on the ribbon.

alt text

5: Fill out the values as needed. The cell link is the cell in the spreadsheet they will show up in.

alt text

Hope this helps!

This is EXACTLY what I needed. You're my new hero. Thank you sooo much.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure do!

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

Hope this helps!

Great solution!