groovyPost Forums

Microsoft Windows Explorer Opening on Startup

Guest jennynovak

Guest jennynovak

Hi

I am new to this site, but already I have learned something which helped, so thank you.

My query is that on my sister's Windows XP PC, it constantly opens the Microsoft window in Windows Explorer showing two folders:

Windows Live Messenger (which she subscribe to) &

Search Enhancement Pack

I have looked in msconfig / Setup tab, but cannot recognise the file that triggers this to open. Can you help please?

Jenny Novak, Norfolk

Are you trying to prevent Windows Live Messenger and Search Enhancement Pack from running?

There is a setting in the preferences of Windows Messenger that can be checked to prevent it from running at start.

As far as search enhancement pack goes...

-Look in C:/Program Files/Microsoft/SearchEnhancement Pack

-Delete or rename the file called "Seaport.exe" and delete any other files there too.

-Restart

Hope that helps

Guest jennynovak

Thanks for your quick response. I will see her again next Saturday, so will try your recommendation of either deleting the Search Enhancement Pack folder or renaming it and will report back. However, I use laptop with Vista and although I have the same folder in C:/Program Files/Microsoft/SearchEnhancement Pack, I don't get it opening each time I start up.

With regard to the Windows Live Messenger folder, I too use this service and have it automatically sign me in when I startup, but I don't have the same window appear on startup.

I only installed Windows Live Messenger on her PC (XP O/S) and she does want it to sign her in automatically too, but even before I installed it, the Search Enhancement Pack was still appearing.

I think I might possibly have opted for hers to be linked to emails (or similar option) which I didn't do on mine. Could this be the reason for the folder appearing on hers and if so, how can I prevent it?

I always use Spybot Search and Destroy and inside of it you can configure what will START during boot. You might want to take a look at that or download a copy of Microsoft Security Essentials. I think MSE also has a tool to control what STARTS at boot as well.

That being said, you can also hit Windows Key + R and type MSCONFIG.exe and then click on the STARTUP tab. from there you can also configure WHAT is started at boot. I actually just tried that out and turned off about 5 things that doesn't need to start at boot.

• 1 month later...
Guest thomaspiter

You can use the command-line switches either to customize the default view that Windows Explorer uses when it starts, or to specify the view when you start Windows Explorer from a command prompt.

You can use the following switches with the Explorer.exe command.

/n

/e

/e,

/root,

/select,

• 2 weeks later...