groovyPost Forums

Microsoft Excel Error

OttoLind

Hi everyone,I have received the following error from an Excel workbook that I have been using:

-<recoverylog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logfilename>error056520_01.xml</logfilename><summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Excel\Function and Formulas for Excel.xlsm'</summary>-<removedfeatures summary="Following is a list of removed features:"><removedfeature>Removed Feature: Object from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedfeature><removedfeature>Removed Feature: OLE Control Extension from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedfeature></removedfeatures></recoverylog>

So..my question how to fix this error?Thanks.

It's really hard to say. I would need to know more about the file. Did you create it from scratch or someone else? If someone else created it then I would talk to that person. If you created it then you should be able to answer these questions.

1. Is the spreadsheet linked to other spreadsheets either by formulas or VBA?
  2. If the first answer is yes, then has any of those spreadsheets been moved, deleted, or renamed? If they have then the errors are caused because it can't find the needed files to complete its calculations or inputs.
  3. If the answers to the previous questions are both no, then has the spreadsheet itself been moved or renamed, or any of the sheets within the spreadsheet? There could be either a hard coded formula or VBA pointing to something specific in the spreadsheet and when it was renamed it would fail to update the code accordingly, causing errors. In this case change the names back exactly. If you deleted a sheet, then you have bigger problems.
  4. There could be a specific object within the spreadsheet that used to be there that somehow got deleted and now the spreadsheet can't find it. This would be some object created by the person creating the spreadsheet.
  5. Did you change anything with the software itself, such as upgrade Excel or Office, or apply any patches or updates? If so undo what you did. Microsoft often automatically pushes updates through, depending on windows settings.
  6. The last thing you can try is to open the file on another computer. If it works on another computer than the installation on your computer is corrupt. You can try to do a repair of office or even uninstall/reinstall it.