groovyPost Forums

Is it possible to remotely game from another computer or virtual machine?

Go to solution Solved by zines,

So I have a pretty standard laptop and I was wondering if it would be possible to remotely play games installed on my desktop or a virtual machine using the laptop. Say if I was in the other room and I wanted to play games, could I use the laptops remote desktop connection do this?

And is it possible to install games on a virtual machine and then play them remotely? (Assuming the games were installed on a server or workstation) Wouldn't the video card in the virtual machine not matter as much and I could just make it use the video card in the laptop?

• Solution

Try it and see what happens. More than likely your connection to the machine will be too slow to play. Also when remoting in, the computer you're remoting in from will usually have its graphics downgraded. Anyway, if it does work it will be really slow or the graphics will be really horrible, If not both.

Try it and see what happens. More than likely your connection to the machine will be too slow to play. Also when remoting in, the computer you're remoting in from will usually have its graphics downgraded. Anyway, if it does work it will be really slow or the graphics will be really horrible, If not both.

Yeah I found out that it doesn't work. Everything is really choppy when I try to use remote desktop.

I'm not sure why it just doesn't use the video card on my laptop to speed things up. Maybe its because the Wireless N network speed can't keep up with the CPU and RAM on the host box.