groovyPost Forums

Problems controlling volume with Apple TV remote

Julia

Does anyone have any advice about the problems I'm having with controlling the volume for my tv with my Apple TV 4 remote? I went to the Apple Store and according to them it is because my HDMI cable or HDMI input in my tv isn't good enough. But I bought a new HDMI 2.0 cable and my tv is just 2 years old and has HDMI-CEC. My remote is able to turn the tv on and off, and it is operating according to the ' learn control' test, but... it still doesn't work. Would love to use only 1 remote (I only use the Apple Tv for my tv). 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Julia,

For a start read through this article I found via a Google search. There is a "possible solution" to your problem at the bottom of the article. Using my laptop (pc) I had to change my audio output settings for the HDMI sound to work. 

Article: https://www.imore.com/how-hook-fourth-generation-apple-tv-optical-audio-speakers

<-snip-> Use an audio extractor ($15-$300)

Don't have an old Apple TV or optical out port on your television but still want to enjoy the benefits of optical out? Pick up an HDMI-to-Toslink (optical audio) extractor. This lives in-between your TV and Apple TV, routing the Apple TV's HDMI connection through a tiny box that separates the HDMI video signal and the audio signal. To make this work, you'll need a spare power port and extra HDMI cable.

The simplest of these boxes starts at just $15, with more expensive models going upwards of $300. I recently picked up the $31 ViewHD HDMI audio extractor, which I like a lot—it has the option to route audio either via optical out or RCA.

What you'll need: Audio extractor, extra HDMI cable, optical audio cable.