groovyPost Forums

Brightness keys not working on Sony Vaio keyboard

Go to solution Solved by Austin,

I reformatted the laptop after installing a new hard drive in my Sony Vaio and now it isn't letting me use the brightness function keys anymore. The function volume keys still work, it's just the brightness ones that aren't going very well. Is there a software requirement or something I'm missing?

• Like 1

• Solution

For these buttons to work it requires Sony's proprietary software. Luckily, the packages required t operate the Brightness buttons isn't bloated like their Vaio Care crapware.

To set it up, visit http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER and type in your model number. On a Vaio this should be found below the bottom-right corner of the screen.

Once on the model's support page, download the following:

• SYSTEM COMPONENTS
    • Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver
    • Sony® Shared Library
  • NOTEBOOK CONTROL AND UTILTIES
    • Sony® Notebook Utilities
    • Note that this should include two other services within it, the Event Manager and Setting Utility Series.

Be sure to also install any updates available for those services..

Now once you finish installing all of those your brightness keys should work. You might run into an error window that tells you "the installed battery may not be properly connected." This isn't an error to be worrieed about, it's just a false alarm. To disable it browse to C:/Program Files (x86)/Sony/ and delete the ISB Utility folder.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For these buttons to work it requires Sony's proprietary software. Luckily, the packages required t operate the Brightness buttons isn't bloated like their Vaio Care crapware.

To set it up, visit http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER and type in your model number. On a Vaio this should be found below the bottom-right corner of the screen.

• SYSTEM COMPONENTS

• Sony® Shared Library
    • Note that this should include two other services within it, the Event Manager and Setting Utility Series.

Now once you finish installing all of those your brightness keys should work. You might run into an error window that tells you "the installed battery may not be properly connected." This isn't an error to be worrieed about, it's just a false alarm. To disable it browse to C:/Program Files (x86)/Sony/ and delete the ISB Utility folder.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

I did run into the battery error, deleted ISB Utility folder and it went away.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• SYSTEM COMPONENTS

• Sony® Shared Library

Hi @grooveDexter, I encountered the exact same issue as bananajoe, only my Brightness Fn keys are not working. I tried what you mentioned, but still didn't work. I tried adjusting the brightness manually via Power Control settings but it didn't work as well. Any other ideas ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, on my Sony VPCCB, I made my Brightness and Volume Fn keys work again by starting up the service called 'VAIO Event Service' in Windows' Services. I had previously disabled it by setting it on 'manual', and it no longer worked.I put it back on Startup type : automatic to get the function keys working again.