groovyPost Forums

Should I make myself an Ubuntu machine for testing it out?

Go to solution Solved by Guest Simon,

I have a laptop I am not using and instead of just selling it and making BARELY any cash (since it's an old laptop) do you think I should start getting into Ubuntu? I've heard a lot of great things about it, but I'm not sure if I should try it and start "exploring it". Let me hear from you, though, do you think it's a good OS?

• Solution
Guest Simon

Short answer, yes. If the laptop isn't really needed and you feel like trying it. Just do it.

Keep in mind to backup all your data from that laptop first.

Depending on your laptops power, you should take a good look at which Ubuntu version you want though.You call it an old laptop, I'm assuming you mean between 4 and 8 years old. So Ubuntu should be perfect. Depending on what you like, you could choose for Kubuntu, but that's a matter of taste. I've always liked Kubuntu until recently.

I advice you to try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long Term Service). For a few reasons, but mainly, the new Ubuntu 11.04 with the new Unity-Desktop is not really all that yet. Same goes for gNome 3, it's all a bit unfinished. Ubuntu 10.04 will get you started perfectly.